Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,661   Posts: 1,481,611   Online: 898

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Time to stock up on Kodak

Time to buy more film OR maybe Kodak stock?
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Kodak-...89236.html?x=0

I'm going to place a larger order then normal. Even if they are not really that bad off another sale will not hurt their bottom line.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    By all indications Kodak is headed toward bankruptcy. If this is true then the last thing you would want to do would be to buy Kodak stock because in a bankruptcy the shareholders of common stock lose 100% of their investment. I'm not talking about 90% loss, or 99% loss, or 99.9% loss. I am talking about 100% loss of investment, regardless of what price you paid for the shares.

There have been a few exceptions to this general statement, but the exceptions are extremely rare, so rare that it makes absolutely no sense to assume that Kodak would be an exception.

I repeat, if Kodak is headed toward bankruptcy then you can expect to lose 100% of any investment you have or will make in buying shares of common stock.

On the other hand, if you think that Kodak MIGHT somehow avoid going into bankruptcy then it MIGHT be possible to make money buying shares and hoping for an increase in price, but the odds are not good. Frankly, you would probably do just as well financially and have more fun by taking the same money, going to Las Vegas, take in a few shows, and then blow the rest of the money on the gambling tables. You will at least have gotten some entertainment out of the deal.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Film is probably the better investment; if or when Ol' Yeller goes to the wall, you could buy a freezer-full, wait a couple of years then flog it on Flea-bay. Just to keep it from the hoarders, narmin? :-)

The future's bright; the future's yellow. Or summink :-)
    testing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Despite all the talk about film's demise and dwindling sales I thought the film division is not losing (that much?) money (particularly with their motion picture film stuff) so they should at least be ok with that or somebody more competent could buy that division and make something out of it. I mean if Ilford and Efke can survive selling the odd B&W roll out of the dozens of B&W film that exist, surely one of the only two colour film producers can survive.
    500ELX, 80CB
    RB67 SD, 65KL, 90KL, 127KL, 250KL
    Nikonos V, 35/2.5

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by film_man View Post
    ....surely one of the only two colour film producers can survive.

I was wondering why there were only two pages of color film in the Freestyle catalog, vs the 8 pages of B&W. Didn't realize there were only two producers of color film. I assume the other one is Fuji?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep, ChristopherCoy. Kodak and Fuji make color; Ilford only makes B&W (and B&W chromogenic).
    website | Flickr
    "Embrace the negative with absolution, your final positive reward." --IQ, "The Province," Frequency

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was planning to buy some Kodak film soon.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    reguardless of what happens to kodak, the kodak name is VERY valuable - we'll just see Fuji rebranded film sold under the Kodak name, kinda like the poloroid name now.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kevs View Post
    Film is probably the better investment; if or when Ol' Yeller goes to the wall, you could buy a freezer-full, wait a couple of years then flog it on Flea-bay. Just to keep it from the hoarders, narmin? :-)

The future's bright; the future's yellow. Or summink :-)
    I've got people beating down my door for one of the few remaining rolls of HIE this side of the Mississippi and they couldn't sell enough of it to keep it in production!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan W View Post
    I've got people beating down my door for one of the few remaining rolls of HIE this side of the Mississippi and they couldn't sell enough of it to keep it in production!
    It was made primarily for the military for aerial reconnaissance. When digital imagers knocked that market completely dead there wasn't enough demand from hobbyists, no matter how much we want the stuff.

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin