Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,808   Posts: 1,581,487   Online: 1115

Shooter
    Medium Format

Maskless negs and "digital" paper?

Is this an appropriate combination? "Digital" paper doesn't expect a color mask, since it isn't balanced for negatives. Could a maskless negative, be it LVT or E-6 crossed in C-41, enlarge with all color balanced properly?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    From what I have read the mask does a lot more than just add some orange background. It is an integral part of the whole film characteristic and you would throw away a lot of the advantages of negative film if you remove that mask. See Chapter 7 in Cteins book Post Exposure for details (PDF can be downloaded legally and for free here)
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The mask is there to color balance negative film properly, even with 'digital' paper.

Cross processed film will lack this mask and have other weird color effects so 'correct' colors will likely be impossible to achieve but most people don't do cross processing for correct colors, they do it for bizarre fruit salad palettes. You can adjust the filter settings/pack to some extent but true colors will likely be impossible to achieve either optically or digitally due to cross-over.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin