Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,358   Online: 1187

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

"New" velvia 50 compared to "old" velvia 50? Difference or still a classic?

Hi

I am thinking about securing a few rolls of Velvia 50 ASA, both for 35mm and for medium format.

As I understand it, Velvia 50 was discontinued around 2006, but then production was resumed again a couple of years later.

I have only shot Velvia 50 from the "old stock", that film has always been stored cold/freezing and the photos has always had that spectacular Velvia thing that I really like.

As I understand it, the production was halted for Velvia 50 due to the expense/problems getting the chemicals for the emulsion used, does anyone know if they replaced the expensive/hard to get components with something else, or if they somehow found a new supply that enabled them to use the same chemical build-up (and thus the resulting color spectrum) of the original emulsion?

I did a search here but could not find any threads about the (if any) differences between old and new with this legendary film, so please, share your knowledge.

Regards

H
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/fuji/velvia-50.htm

All the way to the bottom is a comparison between (the new) Velvia 50, (old) Velvia and Velvia 100 (non-F). Rockwell sees hardly any or no difference between the 50's.

I myself have only used the old version and can't comment on the 'new' one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, thanks for the link =)
    -

Shooter
    35mm
    I have shot tons of both the old and the new and can't see any difference. The old Velvia look (color palette, warmth, black shadows, extreme sharpness) is still there in 'new' 50, which is something I could not say for either of the 100-speed versions of Velvia.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmm, ok, I'll take your word for it and place an order for 20 rolls of 120 from fotoimpex, going right into my long-term deep-freezer =)
    -

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is some difference in color rendition in the reds and yellows. For instance pine duff appears much redder on the old Velvia and more neutral on the newer version. The newer version appears closer to 'real life' in that regard, but I haven't shot enough of the new version to say much more than that. They still have a similar family color signature. And there was a reformulation for the new version.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have found that both are very close.

Jeff

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin