Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,242   Online: 815

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Need a reality check

Someone elsewhere has stated, Kodachrome enhanced the blue range, and Extachrome reds.

It has been a very long time since I shot slide film or even color but I remembered it the other way around, with Kodachrome being very warm and Extcrhome being very cool

Can any color folks comment. I tried looking at the Kodak site, and of course all that infomration is not available.

thanks
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Kodachrome had excellent greens, as do most of the modern Fuji offerings (and Velvia is very good at purple). Ektachrome is indeed very strong in the reds.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I recall, Kodachrome was on the warm side, reds and yellows hightened while cool colors felt restrained. Ektachrome appears cool to me. I prefer Velvia because it shows to be cool, blues and greens really pop in my opinion. Maybe it was the subjects I used to shoot, memory retrieval is selective so I may be wrong.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The information i did find, indicates Ektachrome was very good with greens.

I called my dealer and talked with them (40 years of experience ) and they too felt Kodachrome was much warmer, with the Ekachrome being cooler.

Of course lighting conditons and which IOS used effects the temperature.

Long ago and i mean a reall long time, say the 50's I seem to recall an easy way to remember the temperature shifts was the color of theboxes. Remember how organge that Agfa box was? That of course could be too much fixer on the brain, or urban myth, but that does bring back memories.

Thanks for the info.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How are you going to get Kodachrome processed Ann ?
    Last edited by benjiboy; 10-11-2011 at 10:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I"m not, this is one of those silly discussion about which did what, and i was trying to determine if i was misremembering .

I did sell some older film here earlier in the year, some folks were going to test it out in various other developers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IDK Ektachrome VS certainly pumps reds.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Ann,

Kodachrome was famous for accentuating reds; old-style Ektachromes accentuated blues and Fuji films accentuated greens. IIRC, Agfa films were fairly neutral. Modern Ektachromes are much warmer and accentuate yellows and reds. That's all from memory; and YMMV, of course. :-)

Cheers,
    kevs.
    testing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kevs View Post
    Hi Ann,

Kodachrome was famous for accentuating reds; old-style Ektachromes accentuated blues and Fuji films accentuated greens. IIRC, Agfa films were fairly neutral. Modern Ektachromes are much warmer and accentuate yellows and reds. That's all from memory; and YMMV, of course. :-)
    That's my recollection too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You are not mis-remembering, Ann. The older Ektachromes (including E-6 from the 80's) had very nice blues, though I liked my Kodachromes' blues just fine. One day in springtime '81 or '82 I took pictures of California poppies on both films, subsequent rolls, around midday.The Kodachrome portrayed the flowers as the orange they really were (maybe a little more), while with Ektachrome they looked yellow and a little bit orange.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin