Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,515   Online: 1218

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Slide sharpness

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Velvia 100, my favorite is Velvia 50 but i did shoot one roll of V100 and it came out........ WOW WOW WOW

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bishy View Post
    I gather Velvia 50 is the sharpest available slide film on the market. Could anyone please advise on the sharpest 100 speed slide film available?

It appears according to this that Provia 100 is your sharpest 100. I'm also quite surprised that the sharpest film is Pro160NS which is sharper than Ektar. I think people beleive Ektar to be the sharpest when actually it just has the finest grain. The sharpest Kodak neg films are the Portras.
    Last edited by timparkin; 10-12-2011 at 03:48 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That graph looks kind of normalised. Ektar for example has much higher contrast than Pro160S or Portra 160 (and hell, they differ in contrast but get one line!). Once you move the Ektar and Provia lines upwards to account for the higher contrast, I would expect the Provia 100F or Velvia 100 (not F) to be about the sharpest(-looking) ISO100 chrome currently around.

Sure, Astia may have a lot of resolution, but that doesn't mean it's got a lot of acutance; in fact its low contrast will hurt apparent sharpness.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've only reproduced the information supplied (and taken the best curves for the kodak stuff).

I imagine that the results were taken from a typical print but won't it be possible to increase the contrast of the negative material more than the transparency? I don't know how they calculate MTF for neg is the problem.. Having scanned astia and portra 400 shot of the same subject, I have to say that the Portra 400 held a lot more sharp detail - anecdotal evidence caveats apply.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you can handle the increased grain and contrast, Velvia 50 pushed to 100 looks sharper than the 100 Velvias to me. I tested all three side-by-side once and there were several situations where 50 pushed looked better than the 100s to my taste.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you for the advice everyone.

Being fairly inexperienced to reversal shooting,i debated mentioning this subject. The reason i ask is, i have become attached to shooting Velvia 50,which i have been shooting the odd portrait lately in a landscape background. However in overcast and maybe subdued light situations,how the film records skin tones does concern me. I didn't want to sacrifice the sharpness i gain with Velvia 50 too much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would be inclined to say that you can compare all Kodak films or all Fuji films, but to cross compare might be difficult due to the testing methods used. There is (AFAIK) no ANSI standard for sharpness tests that rigidly define things well enough for cross comparisons. For example, the tests may involve a positive chart or a negative chart or both. These tests give different results.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bishy View Post
    how the film records skin tones does concern me. I didn't want to sacrifice the sharpness i gain with Velvia 50 too much.
    (my underline)

...again I say Astia!

Regarding sharpness etc., far too much is made of that. With the modern crop of films, your viewer will never miss whatever fine detail isn't there.

Bear in mind that most of the slide films project beautifully to very large screens. The business of scanning and pixel peeping is another story, but I can report that proper drum scans from all the usual slide films mentioned in this thread are quite spectacular. You have to enlarge a lot before missing any detail or seeing any granularity from 35mm slides.

Medium format slides, well, the detail is endless.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All the Fuji Pro slide film are more than adequately sharp.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I did wish to try Astia 100F a year or so back, but i could find no supplies in the UK or a wish to shoot a discountinued film. I think maybe Provia 100F is the logical film to shoot,however there's something about Velvia 50 which is different to the other's i've viewed. When i look at the emulsion side of the image it seems to be so defined and sharper than the other films ive used.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin