Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,056   Online: 912

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

cyan, green cast on negative borders with Fuji

Does anyone experience an occasional cyan or green color cast (correctible in printing) on the borders of Fuji negatives processed in Kodak chemicals? Is the C-41 process truly identical between Fuji and Kodak? Thanks. - David Lyga.

Shooter
    35mm
    My local mini-lab uses Fuji chems but successfully develops both Fuji and Kodak films. I imagine that the Fuji chems are essentially the same as those used in home developing. I have developed both Kodak and Fuji films in Tetenal and Speedibrews chemicals without problems. I'd be amazed if Fuji and Kodak chems aren't capable of properly developing any C41 films, given that other C41 chemical makers can do both.

Otherwise mini-labs using Kodak chems would be warning Fuji film users that they might be getting a cyan/ green cast and might be turning away a large portion of potential customers.

I think that something else is at work here, giving you the problem you describe

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Never seen that, and I use that combination a lot. But I'm not sure I understand your question. If it's correctable in printing are you sure it's not just that the Fuji film requires a different starting filter setup than the Kodak film? Can you show an example, or elaborate a bit?

Shooter
    35mm
    I am talking about the nonexposed area of the film, between frames and near sprocket holes. Sometimes the Fuji is a beautiful orange (as it should be) and other times I get sickly green. I have checked all other potential problems like contamination. The Kodak is ALWAYS orange but only sometimes the Fuji is orange. I think that there is a slight difference between Fuji chems and Kodak chems. Something about my C-41 is borderline deficient with Fuji films. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I get markedly different film base colours with some fuji films in my home brew c-41, than with agfa or kodak films. More to magental; Cyan is a new one for me.

As you note, the difference can be accomodated by (sometimes radically) changing the filter pack from what you may be more familiar with.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    35mm
    OK now I will hang myself and state that I use RA4 dev to process negatives. The REASON I did not state that up front was because sometimes the Fuji negs look great on their borders. So, I am not absolutely wrong here. I have processed color negatives for years this way with no problems. There has to be a slight deviation in chemicals with Fuji processing. I just wanted some feedback. And, yes, I will reiterate, sometimes the Fuji borders are orange and the image is beautiful. - David Lyga.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Do the colors ever bleed into the image area? Are the stains ever between the frames? What type of reels do you use? Could it be contamination from them?

Also, why not use Kodak C41 developer? It's cheap and readily available.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The C41 and E6 chemistry is cross licensed between Fuji and Kodak. They are identical in functionality.

Green marks can be either safelight fog or stress marks due to kinking of the film. Splashes of some chemicals can also cause this.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Folks, I have developed film since I was 14 (1964) and by far this is the most maddening problem I have ever had. If I always got bad negs I would simply chalk it up to my stupidity with using processes that I had no right to expect to work. But, just a few days ago: SAME RA4 dev stock, SAME film stock, SAME everything. Honestly, sometimes I think solutions depend upon the moon phase (like my Italian grandmother said that the wine (that she and my grandfather made), depends upon!)

Seriously, there is no safelight (ultra conservative here with darkroom) and the evenness of the stain precludes kink marks or 'splashes'. It is even as can be. I have checked everything and am just about to state, without equivocation, that this developer solution has a mind of its own (and I am agnostic to boot!) Maybe, just maybe, science goes only so far.

The stain (for the past two days) is green, slightly darker than the beautiful orange mask would have imparted. It HAS to be a slight fogging, like a contamination. NOBODY is cleaner than I am in the darkroom. But nothing has changed with the solutions for the past week and during the past week I was getting knock-out, beautiful negs (sometimes the neg is more 'beautiful' than the print because of the delicacy of the tones). Now, an ugly green stain, still printable but the fun in doing that has been deleted. (True, others have worse problems than complaining about stuff like this).

Now that I have bared my soul (and beared my soul, also) I want to thank all for at least trying to understand this dilemma. And, again, there are more important things to complain about, for sure. - David Lyga.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Could be an issue in the film. Send a few rolls out for lab development and see if it's still there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin