Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,290   Posts: 1,535,381   Online: 824

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're just look for develop only, do Costco. Avoid places like Rite Aid, or Walgreens like the plague. Believe it or not, the vast majority of Costco's revenue comes from their Photo dept. So they hire people who take care of it.

Walgreens and Rite Aid don't. Most of the employees don't know what a densitometer is, and they never run control strips in their Noritsu's unless something goes wrong, like 5 roll of film came out blank. They almost never clean the filters, rollers, or top off the racks. Trust me, of all the cheap places, Costco is the best, BY FAR.

Speaking from personal experience here.

Shooter
    35mm
    Bummer that there's no Costco near me. I do however have a Walmart of course. Hopefully that will be a good option. We'll see. If not I'll have to figure out how to do it myself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Talk to the staff that work there, ask how often the machine is cleaned, etc. Watch them and see if they drag the film on the floor when feeding it into the scanner. That is a good reason not to go to that store.
    Bob

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    Talk to the staff that work there, ask how often the machine is cleaned, etc. Watch them and see if they drag the film on the floor when feeding it into the scanner. That is a good reason not to go to that store.
    They supposedly don't develop film at any Walmart anymore. They send it out at mine I do know for sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Costco is really good, and the price is nice too. Walgreens was the worst I have tried, they can't even cut the negatives properly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by F/1.4 View Post
    If you're just look for develop only, do Costco. Avoid places like Rite Aid, or Walgreens like the plague.
    It really depends. I've got a local CVS pharmacy whose photo manager is a large-format guy and runs a tight ship; they do good work. Others make complete hash of it. There was a long thread a few months ago---it seems like most people's local drugstore-minilabs are marginal-to-poor, but a number of people have found good ones.

Costco does seem to be consistently good, but the OP didn't list them as an option.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm
    What part of the country do you reside. I have been send my stuff to Dan's Camera City in Allentown, Pa. for years. They do excellent work E-6, C-41 and B&W)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I started using W@lM@rt recently for for C-41 processing.
    A roll of 35mm / 36 or 120 cost $.88 for developing only.
    Unfortunately they will only provide a CD for 35mm if prints are being made.

Ron

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "Believe it or not, the vast majority of Costco's revenue comes from their Photo dept."

Really? Then It's amazing they're still in business!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.Longmore View Post
    I started using W@lM@rt recently for for C-41 processing.
    A roll of 35mm / 36 or 120 cost $.88 for developing only.
    Unfortunately they will only provide a CD for 35mm if prints are being made.

Ron
    Wow are you kidding me? $0.88 that's amazing!

My local (30 minute drive) store said they only did prints (no option for develop only). I'll have to talk to the right person. Seemed like the rep that was there wasn't very knowledgeable.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin