Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,545,985   Online: 1009

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hypersensitivity to C41 process

Hey folks,
    Has anyone ever experienced hypersensitivity (eczema I suspect in my case) or know about possible reactions to either the components of C41 developer or even the bleach?

I've used metol for years with no problems but I haven't narrowed down my problem.
    I started home inversion C41 1-2 years back with a lot of skin contact so that is my first guess but who knows.

I've had 2 outbreaks recently on my arm (not from DIRECT contact) that I think may be eczema.
    It's tough to say if it's related to the C41 process but it did rear it's head twice when I did some color work after a short hiatus.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Colour developing agents can cause problems, some people are hyper sensitive to them. But as you say it's hard to be sure what may be the cause without proper dermatalogical testing.

Here in the UK a girl died recently after dyeing here hair, there's conjecture that it was a result of something in the hair dye, frorms of PPD are used and are essentially very closely colour developing agents. They are being phased out.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might first try using a barrier cream. Check with you local pharmacy. You want the one to protect against water soluble chemicals. If that doesn't work then try using nitrile rubber gloves. Ordinary latex gloves do not work as well. After using C-41 wash you hands thoroughly.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you use protective gloves? If not, try them. That might fix things up.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I treat anything with a PPD developing agent or it's salts as a green nitrile gloves only situation when I am using it in tanks that leak a bt, or with film hangers.

The other thing that drives me to them, is I usually use it replenished, and have had the sliver turn up as gradually appearing black stains where the stuff has splashed me inadvertently.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Problems with the skin of my fingers (and later the face as well) forced me away from RA4 some 10 years ago. Gloves didn't help (I wore them by default already), as neither did skin cream.

Last year I've done C-41 on a couple of films, and despite all the same precautions (ventilation, gloves, cream) my hands didn't take it too well.

I've always felt that something in (the fumes from) the blix (in both RA-4 and C-41) is the culprit.

No problems at all with b&w.

Sander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The fumes from the Blix, Bleach or Fix consists of Ammonia, Acetic Acid and Sulfur Dioxide depending on the pH and are therefore identical to fixers in B&W.

The Bleach and Blix contain ingredients which are similar to a Cyanotype sensitizer. Similar but not the same. Just close relatives.

The Fixing portions of these are similar to non-hardening neutral fixes used in B&W.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin