Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,827   Online: 892

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Ektar 100asa, the new king?

I've been shooting Ektar 100asa since it was introduced, in both 120 & 35mm. Particularly impressive is its wide contrast range and practically invisible grain.

As Fuji transparancy film is getting expensive here in the UK, I've been substituting Provia for Ektar when shooting for stock. It seems to scan well, and the stock library I use has made no detrimental comments over my submissions, using Ektar as my base film.

Has anyone else taken to using Ektar (or other colour neg film) for shooting stock in place of trannie?

It certainly reduces the overhead costs, both in purchasing the film, and processing. Colour neg is also simpler to home process.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think Ektar is the new king, but only because Kodak simplified their lineup and removed a number of other interesting film options. If it were just a new addition I don't think it would be as popular. Since it's a replacement for all those discontinued ones I think I'm happy it's good enough to do what it does.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like it!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not shooting it for stock but agree with the other commentors that it along with Portra 400 have become instant staples for me. E6 is expensive here in the DC area as well, I also find it more difficult to scan personally than the ektar and portra lines.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Funny, I had a dilemma yesterday when purchasing film for my trip this weekend: Velvia or Ektar.

I like the idea of Ektar and what other people have posted, but I never mastered the film like I have slide, so I guess I needs some learning. I was told to expose it at ISO 125 and found it to have a garrish magenta caste that couldn't be removed easily. Then I heard from someone else to shoot it at 80 or 64 and it'll be great. So maybe I just need to experiment.

I want to love it because it's cheaper, is more forgiving and can be printed wet, but even so, never had much luck with the 15 rolls I shot.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    35mm
    I like it! very fine grain color negative film. Color balance is difficult because if you have a picture with both shaded and non shaded areas the color balances are different.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use it and love it. It's my go-to film for everything I can use it for. I need to try Portra 400 and 160 soon too (the new versions.). I loved Ektar 25 when it was available, and still have a good sized stash, but I mostly use the Ektar 100 as the 2-stops of speed really matter when shooting slow 6x7 lenses handheld.

Shooter
    35mm
    I like it, but as the (by now) old joke goes, it never seems to project very well for me.

I've mostly stuck with slides because I don't really enjoy post-exposure work. If I had to scan and/or print everything I shot, I'd just start with a digital file.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Stephen Schoof;1255121]I like it, but as the (by now) old joke goes, it never seems to project very well for me.
    What type of slide mounts are you using, that could possibly be the problem.
    I'm Just Saying ...

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I Love It !!!

Ron

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin