Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,545,984   Online: 1051

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RA Developers

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pinholer View Post
    With 500ml I can process 10 8x10s in the Jobo using the chamistry as a one-shot. That is usually enough for an evenings printing. I have recovered it and continued to use it to process as many as 20 8x10s per 500ml. When I do this I use 2 prewets and develop and bleach fix for 50 sec plus a drain time of 10 seconds each. My stop is 1.5 oz of glacial acetic acid per gallon and I don't try to extend that. Because the solutions are becoming more exhausted, I use 200ml for the developer and bleach fix instead of the usual 100ml. The developer starts out the usual light beige color and becomes a dark blue as it is reused. After 20 8x10s it is almost black. That is where I stopped although I could probably go further since there was no change in either color balance or density.
    Good to know - just curious, but why 2 prewets? And are you using the Jobo lift, or the magnetic covers?

Thanks
    Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;None but ourselves can free our minds. - Bob Marley

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    In my experience the RA-RT stuff lasts a loooong (8months-1yr) time either in concentrate or mixed to 1 litre.
    I've seen others say this here also.

I reuse the tray solution until it's spent.
    When you say mixed, do you mean a ready to use tank solution or just the developer replenisher minus the dev starter?
    Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;None but ourselves can free our minds. - Bob Marley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm using RA-RT in trays @ room temp so no starter is required.
    No starter was suggested here on apug and I dont use it.

I also use a single prewet and a stop bath of acetic acid.

I mix 1 litre working solution from the 10l kit andstore in full PET 1 liter bottles with the air squeezed out.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hmm - why no starter? Kodak recommends using starter to make a tank solution. Is it because you're developing at room temperature?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dslater View Post
    Good to know - just curious, but why 2 prewets? And are you using the Jobo lift, or the magnetic covers?

Thanks
    I decided to use two prewets in order to minimize the amount of "stuff" that would be carried over from the prewet and accumulate in the developer. My Jobo has the Jobo Lift. I also added some 1" PVC tubing to take the drainings to my sink which is to the right of the Jobo. When I save the developer and bleach fix I just have to take the Jobo drain hose out of the plastic tube and put it into the appropriate bottle which then goes back into its well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dslater View Post
    Hmm - why no starter? Kodak recommends using starter to make a tank solution. Is it because you're developing at room temperature?
    Yes, there's a thread here about it somewhere.
    I rarely have success using the search function or I'd link you.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pinholer View Post
    I decided to use two prewets in order to minimize the amount of "stuff" that would be carried over from the prewet and accumulate in the developer. My Jobo has the Jobo Lift. I also added some 1" PVC tubing to take the drainings to my sink which is to the right of the Jobo. When I save the developer and bleach fix I just have to take the Jobo drain hose out of the plastic tube and put it into the appropriate bottle which then goes back into its well.
    I see - makes sense. Which Jobo tube do you use to process your 8x10's? Also, once you've mixed some tank solution, do you re-bottle the remaining concentrate to minimize contact with the air?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use the Kodak RA/RT 10 liter kits, and mix 2 liters at a time. I use a nitrogen purge on the stock bottles to remove the air. Mixed chems are in 2 liter soda bottles or 500ml water bottles with all the air squeezed out. I do room temp processing in drums, so no started is used for the developer.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    Yes, there's a thread here about it somewhere.
    I rarely have success using the search function or I'd link you.
    My understanding from previous threads is that the starter sort of "pre-ages" the developer for a replenished system, so it then can remain pretty consistent. For one shot use or use-until-exhausted in trays you don't need it.

Bruce, what paper are you using? The Fuji is far more readily available, at least fresh and pre-cut, but I've heard the results with room temperature in trays are more mixed than with Kodak Supra. I'd like to start doing this soon-ish, but would prefer to buy fresh paper in sheets if I can.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    My understanding from previous threads is that the starter sort of "pre-ages" the developer for a replenished system, so it then can remain pretty consistent. For one shot use or use-until-exhausted in trays you don't need it.

Bruce, what paper are you using? The Fuji is far more readily available, at least fresh and pre-cut, but I've heard the results with room temperature in trays are more mixed than with Kodak Supra. I'd like to start doing this soon-ish, but would prefer to buy fresh paper in sheets if I can.
    I have a good stash of outdated Supra and maybe 2 boxes of Portra Endura left.
    I also have a 600ft roll of Edge.
    So all Kodak so far at room temp.

I haven't tried any Fuji yet but I was reading a recent thread and it sounded encouraging for some fuji types at room temp. I'll have to try it at some point.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin