Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,775   Posts: 1,484,477   Online: 884

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RA Developers

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dslater View Post
    So,
    After a several year hiatus from analog photography, I'm starting up my darkroom again. I used to use the Kodak RA-4 chemistry one shot kits for home use. Of course, these are no longer available, so I'll have to use a replenishing developer.
    I generally mix smaller package size quantities and store the remaining concentrates in smaller bottles with no air space. This has worked well for me in the past.
    I was planning to use Ektacolor RA Developer Replenisher RT 10L , however I also noticed there Adorama also offers Kodak RA Prime SP Paper Developer Replenisher 10L which has a single concentrate instead of 3. It is more expensive than RA-RT. However, the single concentrate makes for easier mixing.
    So my question is does anyone know how the shelf life of the Prime SP concentrate compares to the RA-RT concentrate?
    I started this post to clarify that my comment about the thickness and separating into layers of single mix RA dev repl concentrate was about other brands. I suspect Kodak approached it the same way, but it would be worth checking. I'm not sure but think it was Fuji and Trebla (or Champion) my experience was with.

Now I also see that I may have misunderstood your original post. I thought you were mixing partial quantities from the mix bottles, but as I read it again it sounds like you are mixing the full bottle, then storing the mixed solution in multiple smaller bottles. The issue I spoke of in mixing partial amounts wouldn't be an issue in that situation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dslater View Post
    I see - makes sense. Which Jobo tube do you use to process your 8x10's? Also, once you've mixed some tank solution, do you re-bottle the remaining concentrate to minimize contact with the air?
    I usually use the 2830 tank and process two 8x10s at a time although I have a 1520+30 tank that handles a single sheet and uses half the chemistry of the 2830. I keep the unmixed concentrates in the original bottles. My experience has been that the bleach-fix concentrate will go bad before the developer concentrate. When the mixed bleach-fix looks puny (thats a technical term for looking pale and weak) I know that it is on its last leg and that I should get some fresh bleach-fix. Right now I am using concentrates that I got in Feb 2010 and they are working fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Crabtree View Post
    Now I also see that I may have misunderstood your original post. I thought you were mixing partial quantities from the mix bottles, but as I read it again it sounds like you are mixing the full bottle, then storing the mixed solution in multiple smaller bottles.
    I too mixed up the entire 10 liters and stored them in brown glass bottles of various sizes for more than a few years. When I noticed that they could go bad before I got them used up I started mixing them in small quantities straight from the concentrates. That solved the problem as long as I use the bottle of concentrate up within 2 years or so. It also reduces the amount of space under the sink that I used to store the chemistry. Of course that space fills up with other things.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I always mix the RA/RT per daily session, or even per print. That has pretty much ended any questions of predictability,
    provided one isn't down to the last bit of concentrate and has temp under control. Never had much luck with other brands, but haven't tried some of the more recent options either. If Kodak tanks, someone will still provide high quality RA4 chem, because it's essential for both traditional dkrm use and all the digital laser printers like Lightjet. My only question at this point is whether to install a 40" roller processor instead of using drums. And unfortunately, it's the kind of gamble that depends on the continued availability of 8x10 color neg film and matching C41 service. The good new is that at the moment, Fuji seems to be stocking more roll sizes of Supergloss in the latest CA II.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Crabtree View Post
    I started this post to clarify that my comment about the thickness and separating into layers of single mix RA dev repl concentrate was about other brands. I suspect Kodak approached it the same way, but it would be worth checking. I'm not sure but think it was Fuji and Trebla (or Champion) my experience was with.

Now I also see that I may have misunderstood your original post. I thought you were mixing partial quantities from the mix bottles, but as I read it again it sounds like you are mixing the full bottle, then storing the mixed solution in multiple smaller bottles. The issue I spoke of in mixing partial amounts wouldn't be an issue in that situation.
    No - you read it right - I mix partial quantities.
    Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;None but ourselves can free our minds. - Bob Marley

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin