Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,517   Posts: 1,572,152   Online: 1002

Shooter
    Medium Format

Fuji Crystal Archive Type II + Aristacolor

Hey All,

I run a public darkroom here in Asheville, NC and I've recently gotten a LOT of users delving back into color printing. Many stocked up on Supra Endura before it disappeared, but some have started using Fuji Crystal Archive Type II since it's the only continually manufactured paper around. Of the prints I've seen so far, CAII has yet to produce a true, consistent black. I haven't printed with the stuff myself yet, but I've seen this complaint on the board before. My question is, has anyone tried to get a more true black by increasing development times and adjusting filtration accordingly? We use Fujimoto CP-31 and 51 units, and I could easily dial back the machine to for a longer development time. To note: we're using Fuji RA4 chemistry.

Also, someone mentioned that Aristacolor RA-4 paper is Fuji paper, but is it CAII? Or leftover type C? And has anyone had good results with it?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My color class is currently using it. We have a kreonite processor and running it through the kodak ra4 chemistry, and we are getting blacks... Having a hard time balancing the shadows from keeping them looking blue, but are getting blacks. I noticed it does have a different color temperature than the kodak papers, so it may just be the overall color of it. It seems to be much more neutral and hard than the portra papers ive used.
    Vincent Purcell
    Lexington KY Photographer + Media Artist
    http://vincenttpurcell.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I consistently get good neutral blacks on CAII, that is, where black is actually what exists on the film itself. No RA tweak needed. Just need to appropriately balance. But I doubt Fuji would be cutting up the most recent stuff for Arista branding.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Drew and Jadedoto.

I have had a little suspicion that the reason the darkroom users can't get true, neutral black is that they they've been over exposing their film. I should be getting a pack of it in the next few days to play with.

I wonder what the Aristacolor actually IS, if nolt the Type II....I'll run some tests with it whenever freestyle gets it back in stock.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Overexposing the film shouldn't in any way prevent a true deep black, it would just need more enlarger exposure to get there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Brown View Post
    Thanks Drew and Jadedoto.

I have had a little suspicion that the reason the darkroom users can't get true, neutral black is that they they've been over exposing their film. I should be getting a pack of it in the next few days to play with.

I wonder what the Aristacolor actually IS, if nolt the Type II....I'll run some tests with it whenever freestyle gets it back in stock.
    Did you have any findings yet?

I just got a pack of 11x14 for Xmas in which I plan to use for an upcoming gallery show. I use the Fuji CA Type II for 8x10s, but run on a limited budget and thought 50 sheets is probably all I need for now.

Anyone have any tips before I start testing this paper?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mike,

I haven't tested it yet. I've been buying whatever is being listed as "Supra Endura 11x14" paper on ebay and getting great results with it. I'll test the Type II after the holiday.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If your blacks are a deep blue, the paper needs more time in the developer. Adjust the timer to run a bit slower. Start with 30 seconds extra. Low temperature will also produce the same issue. Check solutions using a good glass thermometer.

An easy way to test for full development is to hold the processed image up to a light. If properly developed, the shadows will appear neutral gray. Underdeveloped images will produce a mostly blue cast in all dark areas.
    Gun Control is like: Reducing drunk driving by making it harder for SOBER people to buy cars.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If your blacks are a deep blue, the paper needs more time in the developer. Adjust the timer to run a bit slower. Start with 30 seconds extra. Low temperature will also produce the same issue. Check solutions using a good glass thermometer.

An easy way to test for full development is to hold the processed image up to a light. If properly developed, the shadows will appear neutral gray. Underdeveloped images will produce a mostly blue cast in all dark areas.
    Gun Control is like: Reducing drunk driving by making it harder for SOBER people to buy cars.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Brown View Post
    Mike,

I haven't tested it yet. I've been buying whatever is being listed as "Supra Endura 11x14" paper on ebay and getting great results with it. I'll test the Type II after the holiday.
    Thanks for the reply....I'll be delving into the 11x14s in a couple of months...I've got to get some 8x10s done for review.

Mike

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin