Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,075   Online: 983

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    For me, the loss is symbolic. Couple weeks ago I met the owner of a lab near me. So I have somewhere to go. But I will miss my friends.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Tried and never liked A&I. Messed up my Kodachromes more than once. Sad when anyone walks away, but there are better mail-order options out there than A&I, IMHO and experience.

Dwayne's has never messed up my Kodachromes or E-6 and their turn-around service - at least for me - is blindingly fast. Only 43 hours (timed) between dropping into the mailbox and having the mailman place the finished slides into my hands. (I live outside the Seattle, Washington area.)

Ken
    A and I didn't process kodachrome, they sent it out. I never had a problem with their work.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    A and I didn't process kodachrome, they sent it out. I never had a problem with their work.
    They did process Kodachrome onsite, I went to them for that. My contact there described the process to me but details escape me. Maybe later on they stopped.

I also never had a problem with their work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    I was under the impression they used one of those K-Lab units, having heard this from another source. But I - or that source - could very well be mistaken. If they were outlabbing that might help explain the possible quality control issues. Do you have any information regarding the identity of the outlab?

I suppose we could likely rule out Dwayne's. I do recall that my Kodachrome slides did come back in very reasonable turnaround times, so if they were also sending them out then the secondary lab must have been very, very fast.

I do also realize that even though my issues occurred more than once, they may well have been statistically isolated cases from quite a few years ago.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The processing infrastructure may indeed eventually collapse. But my definition of "collapse" won't be reached until I can't mail my slides to anyone for development - and I can't purchase the materials to do it myself at home. In fact, I'm fully equipped right now to do it myself at home. The only reason I don't is that there are so many convenient mail order options available at good prices and good turnaround times that it's not worth the time it would take away from my already very tight black-and-white darkroom sessions.

Ken

Let's see...Kodak killed their small batch E6 kit. Slide film selection is shrinking and prices are rising. The E6 processing options in my immediate area have all but collapsed. High film costs, high processing costs and high shipping costs plus pricey drum scans aren't helping me stay in love with E6 materials. I'm shooting up my stash of 120 E100GX. Hopefully, my go-to E6 lab here in Toronto will stay afloat but I've no plans on buying another roll.

Shooter
    35mm
    I too have changed from A&I to Dwayne's in the last few years. Same issues with time of turn around and quality of the work.
    WJS/wi/usa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Let's see...Kodak killed their small batch E6 kit. Slide film selection is shrinking and prices are rising. The E6 processing options in my immediate area have all but collapsed. High film costs, high processing costs and high shipping costs plus pricey drum scans aren't helping me stay in love with E6 materials. I'm shooting up my stash of 120 E100GX. Hopefully, my go-to E6 lab here in Toronto will stay afloat but I've no plans on buying another roll.
    I, and apparently others, seem to have no problem still finding available, affordable and fast mail processing services for E-6. Several, in fact, are APUG advertiser/sponsors. All you have to do is pick one (or two, or three) options and drop your film in the mail. Works for the rest of us. And worked with no complaints for decades back in the heyday of Kodachrome.

This is not really difficult, you know, unless you choose to make it so...

Ken

[Edit: Wait a minute. I thought you've stated in the past that you had NO E-6 processing options in Toronto? Now you state you have a "go-to lab" available, but you're simply choosing to stop using them when your current supply of film is exhausted, even though they are currently still in business?]
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 11-13-2011 at 10:03 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added [Edit]...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    I, and apparently others, seem to have no problem still finding available, affordable and fast mail processing services for E-6. Several, in fact, are APUG advertiser/sponsors. All you have to do is pick one (or two, or three) options and drop your film in the mail. Works for the rest of us. And worked with no complaints for decades back in the heyday of Kodachrome.

This is not really difficult, you know, unless you choose to make it so...

Ken
    Never shot a roll of Kodachrome. Never liked the look or the processing rigmarole relative to contemporary E6 materials. I still have fast quality local E6 processing through Ed Burtynsky's Toronto Image Works. If/when they scrap their Refrema, then mail order-only processing would be the end of my transparency shooting--too much trouble, expense and time. Those are very real "difficulties" that aren't my making that I don't have to suffer. Suspect the days of E6 materials are numbered, judging from the hard-to-miss handwriting on the walls all round such this thread's subject line.
    Last edited by CGW; 11-13-2011 at 10:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Used to go to A&I during my assisting stint in LA. Also used their mailers. They did an amazing job. They processed film for big named photographers the the late Herb Ritz and Mathew Ralston back then. But now is now and I'm sure they didn't process enough E6 to keep the processing lines open. It's sad. A fellow photographer told me that that might be the last man standing with E6. But obviously it's not coming true.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by someone who sounds a lot like CGW
    It is now official. A&I has confirmed: slide film is dying

One more crippling bombshell hit the already beleaguered analog community when IDC confirmed that E6 market share has dropped yet again, now down to less than a fraction of 1 percent of all films. Coming on the heels of a recent survey which plainly states that slide film has lost more market share, this news serves to reinforce what we've known all along. slide film sales are collapsing in complete disarray, as fittingly exemplified by failing dead last in the recent film slaes numbers.

You don't need to be the Amazing Kreskin [amazingkreskin.com] to predict slide film's future. The hand writing is on the wall: slide film faces a bleak future. In fact there won't be any future at all for slide film because slide film is dying. Things are looking very bad for slide film. As many of us are already aware, slide film continues to lose market share. Red ink flows like a river of blood.

Kodak's slide film is the most endangered of them all, having lost 99.98% of its core users. The sudden and unpleasant departures of long time slide film developers A&I only serve to underscore the point more clearly. There can no longer be any doubt: slide film is dying.

Let's keep to the facts and look at the numbers.

Kodak states that there are 7000 users of their slide film. How many users of B&W slide film are there? Let's see. The number of Kodak slide film versus B&W slide film posts on APUG is roughly in ratio of 5 to 1. Therefore there are about 7000/5 = 1400 B&W slide film users. A recent article put Fuji's slide film at about 80 percent of the slide film market. Therefore there are (7000+1400)*4 = 33600 slide film users. This is consistent with the number of slide film related APUG posts.

Due to the troubles of Rochester, abysmal sales and so on, Kodak nearly went out of business, its corpse turned over to yet another charnel house.

All major surveys show that slide film has steadily declined in market share. Slide film is very sick and its long term survival prospects are very dim. If slide film is to survive at all it will be among film dilettante dabblers. Slide film continues to decay. Nothing short of a miracle could save it at this point in time. For all practical purposes, slide film is dead.
    It's not exactly what you said but you sure make it sound like this.... (sorry for the blatant rip off of the *BSD is dying meme)
    Last edited by Rudeofus; 11-13-2011 at 12:09 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: corrected some potentially troublesome quotation
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin