Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,694   Posts: 1,549,029   Online: 949

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast
    CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format

A&I: Sayonara to E6 Processing Next Month!

End of the line for their E6 service 12/23/11

http://www.aandi.com/fp.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tried and never liked A&I. Messed up my Kodachromes more than once. Sad when anyone walks away, but there are better mail-order options out there than A&I, IMHO and experience.

Dwayne's has never messed up my Kodachromes or E-6 and their turn-around service - at least for me - is blindingly fast. Only 43 hours (timed) between dropping into the mailbox and having the mailman place the finished slides into my hands. (I live outside the Seattle, Washington area.)

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Any wonder why Kodak and Fuji have chopped their E6 selections? No demand, obviously.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My sentiments exactly, Ken. While I hate to see anyone fold (a harbinger of the future we all do not want to think about), there remain other options. For my part, Dwayne's, too, gets the nod. These folks have always done a bang-up job with my (Koda)chromes as well as the small amount of E6 I have sent in. With the job they did on the final Kodachrome blitz, they have earned my everlasting gratitude as well as earned all my future E6 processing (I now shoot E100G and E100VS in 35mm and 2 1/4) . My processing "delay" is similar to yours (I am only an hour or so north - depending on the delay at the border and how fast I happen to be driving); I just accumulate enough film - generally 40 - 50 rolls - and send it in via UPS.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'm a big fan of transparencies, so I'm sad to see it slowly abandonned. I feel slides don't get much support compared to less endangered analog processes like color neg and black and white neg. There's nothing like looking at a color transparency through a good loupe on a bright lighttable. I'm lucky enough to have a local minilab which still processes E6 up to 4x5", but I have no idea how long they will maintain that service (they almost stopped a little while ago when their processor stopped heating up properly, but managed to fix it). I've recently acquired a second hand Jobo processor in order to process E6 at home and started to stock up on slide roll films and sheets. Unfortunately few are the people still enjoying a good projection of slides and since the pros have stopped using them, E6 is more or less a dead man walking to my mind which makes me quite sad.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradleyK View Post
    My sentiments exactly, Ken. While I hate to see anyone fold (a harbinger of the future we all do not want to think about), there remain other options. For my part, Dwayne's, too, gets the nod. These folks have always done a bang-up job with my (Koda)chromes as well as the small amount of E6 I have sent in. With the job they did on the final Kodachrome blitz, they have earned my everlasting gratitude as well as earned all my future E6 processing (I now shoot E100G and E100VS in 35mm and 2 1/4) . My processing "delay" is similar to yours (I am only an hour or so north - depending on the delay at the border and how fast I happen to be driving); I just accumulate enough film - generally 40 - 50 rolls - and send it in via UPS.
    Yes, I feel the same loyalty toward Dwayne's. They stuck with us - and Kodachrome - when everyone else bailed, including both A&I and Kodak. My final K64 slides looked great. So now I'm sending my E-6 business their way too. Good to hear my turnaround times are typical and not a fluke.

(Burnaby, BC? We're almost nextdoor neighbors! Except our weather* 120 miles south of you is so MUCH better... not.)

Ken

* Heavy rain, high winds, hail, temps just above freezing, lightning and thunder, so dark that the streetlights were on all day long... and that was just yesterday alone.
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradleyK View Post
    Bradley:

I'm surprised you aren't using ABC Photocolour in Vancouver, at least for your 120.

Same day Dip and Dunk processing, and it is less expensive ($7.00 CDN tax in) then Dwaynes.

Their scans are more expensive though.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format

E-6 processing in Vancouver

......and what about The Lab 295 2nd Ave E Vancouver (604) 876-1737 with their 3 hour service! They do a fantastic job for our large and medium format slides.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel1972 View Post
    I'm a big fan of transparencies.
    Me too.

I sent off two rolls last week and have 3 A&I mailers to use before end of year.

Their E6 mailers used to be precious and valuable supplies that I always maintained in stock.

A really funny incident I remember... one day they sent me slides from another Bill Burk (from Los Angeles and I'm up north) I fed-ex'd them back immediately and the real Bill Burk never realized there was a mix-up.

Good memories from the lab, well wishes going forward.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lots of E-6 processing possibilites still out there, it seems. One just has to be willing to seek out and patronize the remaining locations, or use the postal services to reach them and then wait a couple of days.

And as far as the latter goes, isn't that exactly what we all did for decades anyway with Kodachrome? Back then when I worked in the darkroom of a local photo business we all - customers and employees - would drop our Kodachrome films into that little canvas courier bag, wait two days, then pick up our finished slides. Not so different now with E-6.

If on the other hand you're going to claim that the world's entire E-6 infrastructure has totally collapsed simply becaue you can't get your slides processed on demand in 30 minutes by someone located only 5 minutes from your home, well that's indicitive of a different set of problems, I think.

The processing infrastructure may indeed eventually collapse. But my definition of "collapse" won't be reached until I can't mail my slides to anyone for development - and I can't purchase the materials to do it myself at home. In fact, I'm fully equipped right now to do it myself at home. The only reason I don't is that there are so many convenient mail order options available at good prices and good turnaround times that it's not worth the time it would take away from my already very tight black-and-white darkroom sessions.

Ken

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin