Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,413   Online: 960

Shooter
    35mm

E-6 Color Developer part A / part B ratio

I mixed up 1.5L of E-6 color developer today, more than I usually do, and it is a deep purple color. I think, but am not 100% sure, that it it usually a less deep purple color, actually, I think it is usually only a mild purple. It is possible my part A/ part B ratio may be off by a small amount. Does anyone know what effect, if any this could have on my slides? I would rather not discard the mix, and redo, as it is from one of my last Kodak 5L E6 kits, dont want to waste the remaining chemicals. That is, unless anyone here knows that it will definitely mess up my slides/throw the colors off. Photo Engineer, or any other knowledgeable source, any advice?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would try it on a test roll. There really isn't much else to do. Even if one of the more experienced members can form an opinion going by the color of the mix it will be, at best, an educated guess. The only way to find out for sure is to properly expose a test roll, then develop it using the batch.

Good luck! I'm on my 2nd to last 5L kit and know the stress of wasting any of it!

Shooter
    35mm
    Yay, all went well. Developed 10 rolls of e-6 in two 5 roll batches in two Paterson 5 roll hand tanks. Film Mass Production (!), and they are hanging to dry in the shower now. I am surprised by how robust the e-6 process is, and how super easy it is to do at home. All you have to do is take your time and get the 1st developer to exactly 38C, and keep the color developer within 1 degree of that. all others are good from 35-40C. Wish I had tried this years ago. Love the Kodak 5L kits, I will have to order more 10L Kodak chems soon.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The "ratio" of part A to part B depends on the kit you buy. In the 5 gal. Kodak cubes,the ratio of A&B is the same. Other kits aren't. When mixing up E-6 color developer, after mixing part "A", the solution will be almost clear. As you add part "B" the solution will turn color, quite dark, purplish. which doesn't change when you add starter. After it sits for a while it will clear up and become semi-clear, kinda a bronze color. As you run film thru your line, (I use a 5 gallon dip-n-dunk sink line) the color will darken again.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin