Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,730   Posts: 1,515,254   Online: 841

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I will be interested to try the Endura Premium paper that Kodak just released. I expect it won't be available in cut sheets, but everything else about it sounds good. They even give data for optical printing, with no caveats about crossover or other problems, so maybe it will be well suited towards enlarger users? Hopefully so. Cutting down rolls is a pain in the ass, but I am glad they are still advancing the quality of the paper and that it appears (!!!) that it might work better than Supra Endura VC for optical enlargement. There's a data publication on Kodak's site (e4070.pdf I think) that details it. Should be available Q1 2012 supposedly.

-Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    I will be interested to try the Endura Premium paper that Kodak just released. I expect it won't be available in cut sheets, but everything else about it sounds good. They even give data for optical printing, with no caveats about crossover or other problems, so maybe it will be well suited towards enlarger users? Hopefully so. Cutting down rolls is a pain in the ass, but I am glad they are still advancing the quality of the paper and that it appears (!!!) that it might work better than Supra Endura VC for optical enlargement. There's a data publication on Kodak's site (e4070.pdf I think) that details it. Should be available Q1 2012 supposedly.

-Ed
    Here is the link for the data sheet: http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...4070/e4070.pdf

It includes the following:

"Optical Printing

Expose KODAK PROFESSIONAL ENDURA Premier Paper in automatic printers and enlargers equipped with tungsten or tungsten-halogen light sources or photo
    enlarger lamps. Set up and balance the printer or enlarger according to manufacturer’s instructions. Do not use fluorescent lamps to expose this paper. Use
    a heat-absorbing glass to remove infrared radiation. "
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    . I expect it won't be available in cut sheets, -Ed
    I hope you are wrong about this. As Kodak is creating a new RA4 paper, you'd hope that it would consider the home users as well as the minilabs. Presumably it has kept the cutting machines and can factor in the costs of cut paper.

Ilford could take the same position and offer only rolls but it knows its sales would suffer. I hope that Kodak thinks it through to the end for the customer, that end being the sale of cut paper, including 5x7. If it is really good stuff and it seems that it should be, then I would be prepared to pay a bit more for it and not turn to Fuji cut paper.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    I wonder if there's enough of us colour printers in the UK to get together and cut down a roll or two. My darkroom is way too small to deal with rolls, but I'd gladly pay a premium to someone who can take on the task.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have been cutting rolls for the past 6 months and find that I don't need a surface which is larger than about 4' by 3'. It is fairly easy to do and I fear that this approach will be increasingly necessary for color paper in the future. (I cut 12"x12" squares from 300 foot rolls of 12" wide Fuji and Kodak paper.)

Warren Nagourney

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, I think you're right, it will become the only way in the future. Sadly, my darkroom is 34" x 65" and is cramped enough without a big roll of paper and guillotine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	84-24.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	43124
    Steve.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Steve, you should get that bow in your door frame looked at

Shooter
    Large Format

-Ed
    Hi, Ed,

I thought you have yet to try the VC? But maybe you have and had unsatisfactory results. Having gone through several rolls I can confirm that this paper prints well - no cross over, great dmax, clean whites, saturation and contrast close to that of the old Endura.

Kodak will not put out Endura Premium as cut sheets, I can promise you that. While it is exciting that Kodak is introducing a new RA4 paper, it will most likely phase out the VC and it will most likely be higher in color saturation and contrast. In other words, it'll most likely phase out Ultra as well as VC. I'm not concerned about losing Ultra since I'm interested in normal contrast, normal saturation papers. But if Premium is in fact contrastier and more saturated than the current offerings than I will be worried about losing VC. In any event, at least I still have Royal and Edge to work with in sizes 11" and smaller.

If any of you guys need cut sheets let me know - I'd be happy to ship overseas as well. I have plenty of VC in 8", 11" and 20" rolls. Alternatively, if anyone has a roll they'd like rendered to a specific size, I can do that to. Prices will be much better than the guy on ebay. Happy Holidays, Frotog.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    frotog -

They definitely stated they would discontinue endura vc and ultra, in the statements about the new paper. They say the new paper has greater dynamic range, and better saturation, but that it's still good for flesh tones, so sounds like best of all worlds (except for lack of cut sheets).

-Ed

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    Yes, I think you're right, it will become the only way in the future. Sadly, my darkroom is 34" x 65" and is cramped enough without a big roll of paper and guillotine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	84-24.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	43124
    One can cut the paper in any place which is dark and has a small amount of surface area. I do it night with all of the lights in adjacent rooms turned off and place the cut paper into a large paper safe. I usually cut 20 sheets at a time, so I don't need to do it that frequently. Using rolls is also quite a bit cheaper -- my 12"x12" sheets cost about $0.20 each, compared to $0.40 per sheet for 8"x10" and $0.80 per sheet for 11"x14", all of this for Fuji paper which is identical to what is on the rolls.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin