Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,936   Posts: 1,585,629   Online: 740

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MNP

Shooter
    Multi Format

Kodak Ultra Endura N for darkroom enlargement

Hello APUG

Apologies if this has been discussed before, I have done research on this forum and elsewhere without finding a clear answer from end users. I have come to the conclusion that Fuji Type II is a low-contrast paper and requires a higher-contrast negative to make a "good" print (YMMV, etc). My negatives, due to my subject matter/factors beyond my/my camera's control are low in contrast. My prints don't look good on Type II.

The FAQ on Kodak's site about the new Endura papers states they are optimized for Digital-C's and will produce darkroom prints with off color. I've heard a handful of printers say it works fine for them in the darkroom. I see Maco Direct sells cut sheets of Ultra, which I would be willing to buy and then move on to a roll if I am happy with the results. Has anyone here used any of the Kodak material for darkroom enlargements with results they are happy with?

Thank you for your time,
    Martin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I print on kodak ultra endura matt N paper and on Fuji cristal arhive luctre paper. for me pers?nally kodak is better. Because contrast is higher than fuji paper. But maybe it depends from chemicals before I use fuji paper and chemicals I use kodak endura and kodal lorr developer and results was much better. But maybe I don't know some details or nuances about this paper i don't know yet, but I have big roll of this paper and I think I found the reason ever.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I too was initially put off by Kodak's FAQ on the new, digitally optimized Supra VC. In actuality it's a close match to the discontinued Supra except with slightly higher contrast (nowhere near the Ultra) and a much brighter white...saturation is about the same as the old Supra. I've only found Ultra to be necessary when printing underexposed negatives. Otherwise Ultra's contrast is just too damn hot.

I can only fathom the strange reasons why Kodak insists on marketing this paper solely in rolls and as a digital exposure only paper. It might be helpful to recall that the discontinued Supra, in all of it's versions over the years, was optimized for digital exposure. The only major difference now has to do with the way this current paper is being marketed.

I have several rolls of Supra VC N surface in my film fridge. I also have a roll paper cutter should you like to test out a box of 50 sheets. PM me if this interests you.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have not worked with Kodak Supra, but when Fuji recently optimized Crystal Archive paper for digital printing, it was simply a slight increase in the green light sensitivity and had no significant effect in the darkroom. Tweaks of contrast take a little more getting used to, but this can be easily
    accommodated by learning unsharp silver masking for either minus-contrast or plus-contrast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the main issue as outlined by PE numerous times, is that there is color crossover in shadow/highlight areas. Or at least that's what I recall.

-Ed

Shooter
    Large Format
    There's no cross over. All the hoopla over whether or not this paper is fit for optical came from one small mention in the FAQ in its tech bulletin..."when exposed optically, the image will be high in contrast. If balanced for the skin tones the neutrals will appear cyan." Well, after printing nearly 1000' of this stuff I can tell you that whatever bias the paper has is no more or less than any other ra-4 paper I've used. Besides, if you're using a technique of processing other than roller transport at 35 degrees c., your parameters are way too wide for you to be remotely concerned about the consistency of gamut across the whole range of exposure. As for contrast, as I mentioned before, it's much closer to the old supra than it is high contrast of Ultra. If contrast is still a problem for you, try flashing before spending absurd amounts of time and money making unsharp contrast masks.

I know that there are photographers who prefer the color gamut of fuji CA so I won't comment about color comparisons between the two papers. But I will say that the Supra VC has a much higher dmax than the fuji paper. Most peculiar though is how much sharper the resolution appears with the Kodak vs. the fuji. Side by side, the fuji paper looks mushy.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    frotog,

Have you used any of the paper that's popping up on ebay as Supra Endura? From what you've described -- slightly higher contrast that the old Supra, fine for optical prints, etc. -- it seems pretty close. The base of the paper is different from the old Supra as well; instead of the purple I'm used to, it's a dark pink color.

Just curious. I think I may give Maco Direct a try and order some Supra Endura VC and make a comparison to this ebay stuff.

-Matt

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi, Matt,

I'm not familiar with the stuff that's being slung on ebay. Could you post a link? If it's dark pink out of the box than it's most likely the vc. In any event, the kodak papers blow away the fuji papers both in palette and, interestingly enough, in apparent acutance. I've been using the Kodak Royal and getting great results with it as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The color of the paper is often tweaked to adjust color balance, so white-light color of the various paper before processing doesn't tell much, really. I've seen everything from pink to purple to teal, all from Supra Endura cut sheet paper.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
    Hi, Matt,

I'm not familiar with the stuff that's being slung on ebay. Could you post a link? If it's dark pink out of the box than it's most likely the vc. In any event, the kodak papers blow away the fuji papers both in palette and, interestingly enough, in apparent acutance. I've been using the Kodak Royal and getting great results with it as well.
    Frotog,

Here's the ebay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/KODAK-11x14-...item5d315386e6

I bet it's the Endura VC, but it doesn't have a Kodak watermark on the back, so I'm not sure. But it's great stuff. I'm going to do some side by side comparisons with Type II and figure out what's best for me, but Kodak was always my brand while printing color.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin