Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,320   Online: 1175

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    To my eye the Ektar looks 'enhanced' and the 400H looks 'neutral'. I think they both work, though. Probably because the model is a pretty girl with smooth skin. I think it would be a different story if this was a blotchy newborn or a ruddy 90 year-old with liver spots.
    Steve.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I don't like both. Portra is definitely better in my opinion

Shooter
    35mm
    I dont think this comparison is valid for every person being photographed. The lady in the exaple has fair skin so it looks dull on Fuji and nice on Ektar.
    Whar if she had a not so perfect skin? With red or redish imperfections? Then the Fuji would look much better.
    So in this case it is not better but generally the Fuji is the safe bet.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thats some pop with the Ektar.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I am simply shocked--SHOCKED--that some people prefer apples and some prefer oranges.

Anyway, yeah, I used a ton of Ektar in London this summer. It can definitely make the pastiest people on the planet look sunburned. On the other hand, it makes it a trivial matter to read a menu in a shop window from a block away at 4000 dpi.

I for one never want any part of my body photographed with the stuff unless the lens is dripping with Vaseline.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zygomorph View Post
    On the other hand, it makes it a trivial matter to read a menu in a shop window from a block away at 4000 dpi.
    What?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    It's surprising that no one has pointed out that these shots illustrate the "classic" difference between Kodak and Fuji. Kodak tends toward the warm and rich, while Fuji tends toward the cool and stark. Below are shots with 100VS and Provia 400X. The consumer grade print films had the same look.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	West to the Horizon from St. Mary's.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	203.2 KB 
ID:	42658Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11 (28).jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	183.8 KB 
ID:	42659

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by thuggins View Post
    It's surprising that no one has pointed out that these shots illustrate the "classic" difference between Kodak and Fuji. Kodak tends toward the warm and rich, while Fuji tends toward the cool and stark. Below are shots with 100VS and Provia 400X. The consumer grade print films had the same look.

Name:	West to the Horizon from St. Mary's.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	203.2 KB 
ID:	42658Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11 (28).jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	183.8 KB 
ID:	42659
    The first image has too much red in the color balance and needs to be neutralized before a comparison can be made.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ektar

Name:	blog 2.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	520.0 KB 
ID:	42747

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Portra 400 and 400h are films for people. Ektar is film for things. Portra would be my choice here, I think, but either film works for me depending on what you want. Thank goodness we can still make our own choices.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin