Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,787   Online: 917

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Kodak Ektar 100 vs. Fuji Pro 400h (EXAMPLES!)

So I was running some test rolls that I just got back from RPL and I shot a few pictures both on 400h and Ektar 100. This particular one stood out for me, and I thought that everyone would get a kick out of it:

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Interesting. I like the Fuji better but Ektar is great too.
    Is this 35mm?

jbl
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Great comparison. Thanks for doing this.

-jbl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No problem! I shot these with my Mamiya 645AFD with the 80mm f/2.8 wide open

Shooter
    35mm
    Interesting comparison and thanks for that. The Ektar somehow makes the eyes jump out at you and the deeper blues of the iris makes the whites of the eyes stand out more. That combined with a tanned glow effect makes me see why wedding photographers might prefer Ektar. It gives a kind of saturated technicolor look that most younger brides and grooms would want.

Someone marrying in middle age might have a different view. Despite the Fuji shot looking less sharp and duller, I prefer it.

Overall Fuji would be still be my choice for street photography, animals and landscapes

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak Portra might be a better film to compare the Fuji with rather than the Ektar, since Ektar really isn't meant to be a film with which to get good flesh tones, but in this lady's case I think the Ektar works rather well.
    website | Flickr
    "Embrace the negative with absolution, your final positive reward." --IQ, "The Province," Frequency

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think a better comparison I would like to see is portra 400 with pro400h. now that would be interesting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I found this awhile back, comparing new portra 400 with fuji 400h. They also have a few comparisons with Kodak Vision 3 500T movie film which are interesting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Big difference. It illustrates why I generally don't like Ektar. It can be great when used for "that look," but it is not a good general-purpose film IMO. It isn't a bad choice here, though I do think she looks better with the Fuji, and the whole pic looks more natural. However, if the idea is to sell hair dye, the Ektar works better.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can see the green hue on the Fuji film. I've shot both of these and I prefer the Ektar for general walking around color prints and the Fuji for landscapes and nature.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B+M 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    RB67 Pro S /50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    FED-2 / 50 2.8 Industar 26m / 85 f2 Jupiter-9
    Canon 300v / A2

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin