Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,932   Online: 879

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Best place for cheap E-6 processing

I've been taking the few odd rolls of E-6/C-41 that I shoot to a local lab and they do pretty good work. Their prices on C-41 are pretty reasonable ($4/roll) but E-6 is $10/roll which I don't mind paying from time to time but I was just given 80 rolls of 120 Ektachrome (SW and 64T mix) and the thought of spending $800 plus tax to develop it is a little daunting. I've used the Wal-Mart mailers in the past but my local store no longer offers that service so I'm hoping I can get a couple of recommendations here. I'm fine with sending them off to be processed although if anyone knows of anywhere in the Kansas City area that does it cheaper I'd prefer that option.

Adam

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The cheapest place is you bathroom/darkroom. ;-)
    I'm from Europe, and Tetenal E-6 5L kit, good for 88 films, costs ~60 EUR, which is ~ 0.68 EUR / roll.
    I'm not sure the Tetenal is available in USA, but there is Arista 1 gallon kit, good for 24 films, which is $3.2 / roll.
    I have never used Arista kit, however I think it is possible to develop 36 films, so the cost goes down to $2.1 / roll.

All you need is small tank, changing bag, and time. The self developing was discussed many times here.

Shooter
    35mm
    Home processing really is the only way to get it under 4$ a roll. My local lab philadelphia photographics does a great job but 7$ a roll.

Shooter
    35mm
    But really i'm sure some reasonable person would do bulk discounts

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's a place in OP on Metcalf... Process 1 I think? I've heard bad things from one person (can't confirm really) but I'd guess that's where you're going currently.

It might be hard to beat AgX Imaging in Michigan - $5.50 for a roll of 120 sleeved, $6.50 for 35mm sleeved.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yep, I've been taking it to Process 1. It seems to always be staffed with high school-aged girls but I can't complain about the film I've had developed there.

I've considered doing E-6 at home, I do B&W so I have the necessary equipment, but it seems like there is a lot of hassle involved in keeping the temperature steady and disposing of the spent chemistry. I also don't shoot a whole lot of film, just a few rolls a month, and I don't want to be throwing out a lot of chemicals that have gone bad before I used them up. I'll do more research on the subject but for now I think I'm going to just keep supporting my local lab, it looks like shipping is going to eat up any savings I might find at other labs anyway.

Adam

Shooter
    35mm
    If your local Wal-Mart still has the Fuji send-out service, you may still be able to get them to do it. Get out your sharpie, put a big X through the print options, then in the special instructions box, write "Slide film (E-6). Develop and mount." Slide film takes about a week longer than prints. Fuji picks it up and since it's slide film, will probably send it to Dwayne's Photo in Parsons, KS. Cost is roughly $7/roll. Or, you could just send it directly to Dwayne's, but it's $4 shipping for the first roll and $0.50 for each roll after that.

Dwayne's has a web site as well. http://www.dwaynesphoto.com/.

ME Super

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well supporting local is certainly commendable. I always enjoy Overland Photo too when it comes to chemistry, and other sundry.

My good friend lives just around 85th and Metcalf. It's nice to see some locals on APUG.

Cheers Adam!

Chris

edit: As for Wal-Mart's send out service. I'm pretty sure they send that to a huge central processing facility and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they do E6 in house. All Wal-marts send to the same place, so you can imagine the volume.

Shooter
    35mm
    As others have mentioned, by far the cheapest, and BTW, highest quality and quickest turn around time is to DIY at home. Buy an $80 1 gal Arista E-6 kit from Freestyle Photo, also a $40 Paterson Super System 4 (suggest the 5 roll version) developing tank and 2-3 reels, go to Walmart and get a cheap $3 styrofoam cooler, a $10 digital cooking thermometer, a $4 digital stopwatch/timer and you are in business. With that investment, you can process 32 rolls. After that, each gallon arista kit will do 32 more rolls at a minimum. Some poeple go well over this and still get good results.
    It is SUPER EASY, dont let anyone tell you color is too hard, start with BW, blah blah blah. That talk is what kept me from trying it for so long. Its only difficult if you dont have the patience to get the temp coming out of your tap just right - like 5 mins max of adjusting it.
    Fast, FUN, great results, and minimal costs. Its the way to go, and you will save yourself a boatload.

Shooter
    35mm
    this guy shows how simple it really is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeNIw...eature=related

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin