Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,691   Posts: 1,482,391   Online: 805

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    There is absolutely no reason they wouldn't "work together," but the developer should only be used one shot in a JOBO. This is due to all the air in the tank during processing, and the constant agitation, causing more oxidation than in hand processing in a full tank, agitating intermittently.
    The pricing and sizing of the Rollei chemistry is such that no one in his right mind would consider using it as single shot chemistry. If, therefore, the (otherwise sparse) manual explicitly states mixing instructions for rotary processing including estimates for number of reuses, then Rollei (or Fuji, who makes the stuff anyway) must think that their chems can be used multiple times in rotary processing. Some folks on APUG also seem to think that this works. Don't forget that you mix very small quantities of soup for rotary processing, so you don't reuse the chem all that much anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jbl View Post
    I've been developing rolls with the Rollei chemistry and feel like I'm not getting enough negative density. Things look okay, but since I'm going to a scanned workflow, I'm judging negative density based on what comes out in the scan. Rolls consistently seem to need brightness enhanced on the computer. The shadow detail seems fine, so I don't think it's underexposure (at least not across the board). I've seen the same behavior with fresh chemistry and reused chemistry. In b&w, I'd either increase exposure or increase development time. Do the same principles apply with color?
    jbl, you judge your results by what you get from your scanner ... please remember that you scanner most likely makes some auto level adjust, which may or may not deliver the image brightness you want, completely independent of your neg density. There is a reason the pros do density measurements.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You CAN reuse C-41 even with rotary Jobo. It is true that there is a bit more oxidation than with manual agitation, but the oxidation that happens during the 3 minutes is still comparably low.

I have never seen any official statement that you couldn't do that, and I have had absolutely no problems. If this is an official instruction, please state a source.

However, usually there is no need for reuse, or for more than one reuse; with Jobo, the volume of chemicals is so low that you reach the specified life of the chemicals anyway. Also, if you don't develop very much, it's good to "go through" your chemistry so that it doesn't go bad. To be on a safe side, in a month.

One-shot is a sure way, it also protects from dilution (if you use a prewet) and contamination. However, one reuse is not that much. I have reused as much as three or four times (increasing the developer time as instructed), exceeding the stated capacity manyfolds, with good results; C-41 is a robust process with built-in safety factors so you don't need to add your own. Just don't reuse more than once in a Jobo because then you are going to exceed the specified capacity anyway.

If you reuse bleach many times, use a half-full bottle and give it a few good shakes to regenerate it by oxidation. Also, bleach for 6'30, preferably around the process temperature; it may be a bit too slow in room temp.

Keep also in mind that the fixer has a limited capacity, too; probably shorter than the bleach.

Also, YOU HAVE TO WASH between bleach and fix. There is a crucial error in Digibase instructions. This can cause increased density and a color cast. AFAIK, it is not correctable afterwards.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin