Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,861   Online: 1060

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

extending c41 times

Hi,

I have been developing a few rolls of c41 ektar and portra over the past few weeks using a jobo cpe2 with 250ml of solution and rollei digibase chemicals.my first 3 rolls came out well but my fourth is a bit dense and slightly fogged in areas, it looks potentially undeer bleached even though. I did it for the same times as my previous rolls. My question is should I be extending my dev,bleach anf fix times for each roll I develop at all?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

You should not need to extend your development time unless you are reusing your developer. And you should not do that in a JOBO anyhow, as all the swishing about oxidizes the developer faster than with hand inversion in a full Nikkor tank.

The rest of the chems should be fine to reuse in a JOBO.

I notice that you shoot plastic cameras. Could it simply be caused by a light leak?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I used a bronica sqa on these rolls so they should be light tight. Hmm,never thought about using the dev as one shot. That would be ridiculously expensive surely!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Especially with the heavily priced Rollei chems. Kodak bulk chemicals are by far the more cost effective way to go if you are using a JOBO.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The user manual for the Rollei chems states detailed instructions for Jobo 25xx tanks and rotary processing, so I'd assume they are supposed to work together. One thing that surprises me is that the Rollei manual mentions no soup time increases with reused chems, especially since Tetenal specifies quite hefty soup time increases for their chems (which are different but anyway).

If you leave dev time the same, you should get thinner negs after multiple uses, not denser negs, so I assume that your dev is not the culprit here. Excessive density plus base fog points a lot more towards insufficient bleaching, and fortunately that is a step you can redo. If you are up to a little experimenting, I'd do the bleach, fix and stab steps over again (with the chems you already have) and look if your negs suddenly turn out nice. Depending on how much you trust your chems you could consider using fresh bleach soup for this.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah I may give that a try. Or just do my next roll with a 30sec longer bleach time and see how that comes out. I love the rollei instructions-no washes included at all!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Remember, the bleach and all following steps can be done in broad daylight, so you can even watch whether the bleach does its work.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    35mm
    What bleach time are you using? The digibase instructions say 3-4 mins but looking at the 30+ page thread on Digibase the suggestions seem to point to 6 mins 30 secs.

From what I have understood you should err on the long side

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    The user manual for the Rollei chems states detailed instructions for Jobo 25xx tanks and rotary processing, so I'd assume they are supposed to work together.
    There is absolutely no reason they wouldn't "work together," but the developer should only be used one shot in a JOBO. This is due to all the air in the tank during processing, and the constant agitation, causing more oxidation than in hand processing in a full tank, agitating intermittently.
    2F/2F

jbl
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've been developing rolls with the Rollei chemistry and feel like I'm not getting enough negative density. Things look okay, but since I'm going to a scanned workflow, I'm judging negative density based on what comes out in the scan. Rolls consistently seem to need brightness enhanced on the computer. The shadow detail seems fine, so I don't think it's underexposure (at least not across the board). I've seen the same behavior with fresh chemistry and reused chemistry. In b&w, I'd either increase exposure or increase development time. Do the same principles apply with color?

-jbl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin