Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,968   Posts: 1,632,670   Online: 868

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

C-41 Sheet Film. First Timer. Help Debug.

I made my first attempts at c-41 processing 4x5 film this weekend. Need insight as to what my issue is. Using a 2509 Reel in Jobo CPE2 without a lift and the Rollei Digibase chemistry From freestyle.

For the most part they seem fine, except that there is a yellow band of trash across each negative which aligns to the water line during the filing of each step.

From my first batch. Excessive curves applied to make the streaks more visible. The top of the scene would signify the bottom of the tank given the way I loaded the reel. I had a technical glitch pop up during the presoak, so I emptied the tank and it sat around for 2-3 hours before I started over with another presoak. I also used the tank recommended 270ml.

http://www.kpraslowicz.com/wp-conten.../streaks-1.jpg
    http://www.kpraslowicz.com/wp-conten.../streaks-2.jpg

From my second batch. 5 minute prebath, and I upped the chemistry to 300ml. Again, it is where the waterline would be when loaded. To the left would indicate the bottom of the tank.

http://www.kpraslowicz.com/wp-conten.../streaks-3.jpg

Any ideas? I just bought the tank used. Perhaps I haven't cleaned it well enough and this is just left over contamination from whatever process the previous owner used last?
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Without the lift, make the filling as quick as possible to start rotating the tank in a few seconds.

Rollei Digibase instructions are STILL faulty. Maybe they will never fix them. You have to add a wash (3-4 water changes) between bleach and fix, AND a thorough final wash between fix and stab.

1) Dev
    2) Bleach
    3) Wash
    4) Fix
    5) Wash
    6) FR/Stab
    7) Dry

This may or may not be your problem or a part of it, but let's hope for the best.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try this: Develop, Stop (1 - 2% Acetic Acid), Bleach, wash Fix, wash, Final Rinse and then dry.

The stop should help. Also, 5 minutes is too long for a prewet IMHO.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I did make the filling as fast as I could the second time and washed were indicated. Though I only did two changes after the bleach. How many changes and for how long constitutes a thorough final wash after the fix?
    Website - FB

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    The stop should help. Also, 5 minutes is too long for a prewet IMHO.PE
    Fresh batch of the same old Kodak Indicator stop I use for black & white?
    Website - FB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That can work just fine as long as it is clear and pale yellow.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Processed two sheets last night with Stop Bath and beefed up the washing steps. Streaking disappeared!
    Website - FB

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin