Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,868   Online: 942

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Kodacolor X C-22 Old Film Found

A friend of mine gave me an old Meopta Flexaret VI TLR and inside I found a roll of exposed 120 Kodacolor X.

I've done some searching on processing this and, aside from the Rocky Mountain Company, http://www.rockymountainfilm.com/c22.htm, how would one develope this? I read a few suggestions about developing it in D-76 or other B&W developer to try to at least salvage the silver image. One other company, http://www.filmrescue.com also suggests trying to get good B&W and forget about the color.

Anyone have experience with this.

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, it is possible to develop C-22 in modified C41 chemistry - but with only 1 roll, I don't recommend it.

It is probably safest to develop it as a B&W negative (I would use a compensating developer - not D76). With only one roll (and no possiblility for experimentation) development may be tricky.

Probably easier to just send it to rockymountain.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    127 Format
    The Speedibrews Celer-41 kit claims it can do C22. They basically sugguest deving for about 12 mins at room temperature. I'd suspect that most room temperature compatable C-41 would probably work OK.

I tried it on a roll I aquired and the results were pretty poor, but then it was a 30 year old film - there was something on their, and I could probably have printed something if it had been interesting. The kit cost about 10 pounds, and I used it on a whole bunch of old and out of date films, so it was worth trying.

I wouldn't expect much from it, and wouldn't pay to have it done commercially unless you've reason to believe theres something really special on there.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You could cut the film in half and try one half in Rodinal first to see what comes out.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    35mm
    There is also a company in the UK who will process C22 films (any size) to a colour image, but they're not cheap. They are called, surprise surprise, Process C22. Don't have their web address to hand but a search will find them.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I would go for a CA41 development and give it about 10% boost. Or better still, give it a clip test and get the best pssible results at the second dunk!
    If you were this side of the pond I would gladly do it for you....Stan. L-B
    'Determine on some course more than a wild exposure to each chance' The Bard.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just a reminder - C22 film emulsions were not designed for high temperature processing like the C41 emulsions are. If you process the film in C41 chemistry it should be with one of the (several available) low temperature C41 processes.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What is the affect of using a "compensating" developer? Someone suggested Rodinal but Refinal is an Agfa compensating developer.

I think I'll cut a few inches from the film and give it a try.

Thanks for your answer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pkerr
    What is the affect of using a "compensating" developer? Someone suggested Rodinal but Refinal is an Agfa compensating developer.

I think I'll cut a few inches from the film and give it a try.

Thanks for your answer.
    I have no experience with Refinal. My choice would be Diafine (or the Diafine substitute formulation posted on APUG threads).

Doing a snip test is a good idea.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Success!

I cut a small piece of the film and put it through some Ilfosol S at 9 minutes. I could see just a tiny smudge so I tried another 2 inches at 15 minutes and saw "a smiling face". Then I did the whole film for 20 minutes and although the whole thing has a dark orange mask, I could see sharp images.

I know this is APUG but, how to share the images, okay I scanned them and here's a sample. Anyone know what year that Oldsmobile is? I tried to see the year on the license plate and my guess is 1975,

http://web.ncf.ca/ac210/photography/kodacolorx.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin