Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,984   Online: 920

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Contrast control for small area of negative.

I asked this over on lfphoto.info.... but thought I would try it here also

I have a 4x5 negative that has one little area I would love to be able to print with detail. The negative is pretty easy to print with the exception of the super bright Mt. Connesss in the background. I tried burning but had trouble not over burning the surrounding areas.

Attached is a scan of the neg with some contrast control done in photoshop... (sorry for the digital image, I'm weaning myself off Photoshop and back into the darkroom)

Flash the paper? Mask? Split Grade printing?

Any other ideas?

I marked this negative N+1, but I guess I didn't see that Mt. Conness had slipped into full sun when I pushed the plunger.

I will process the other neg at N or N-1 that I shot at the same time, but was just curious about this situation.

Thanks in advance
    Robert
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ice_tenaya.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Here are some quick cell phone snaps of best print I made on Ilford FB Multigrade.... including a closeup of Mt. Conness and the burn job I did. I still have a lot of work to do to get this print to where I like it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cell_phone_snap_tenaya_ice_print.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	44194 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cellphone_tenaya_ice.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	44195

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Robert,

I would try a preflash first with non-image light. Basically you want to fog the paper in that area right up to the point where you see the slightest gray, then print your neg. The trick is going to be alignment if you don't use a pin register. What I would do is make a cardboard mask with the mountain cutout. Then use a small penlight to flash the area while slightly moving the cardboard. Even the addition of a little gray should make an improvement.

Cheers,

RW
    www.rwhawkins.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's always hard to tell for sure unless I've got it in front of me but a couple of suggestions in order of increasing complexity. START SIMPLE with burning and only proceed to more complicated procedures as necessary.

Depends how large the print is and also on how much burning is required. A small hole in a burning card could work unless the print is really small. It might take some practice to get it right but that's ok. Doing the burn with a very low contrast filter can help bring in subtle highlight detail and makes it a little easier to avoid artifacts around the area being burned (depending on the surrounding tones).

Watch for dry-down. You want detail but you don't necessarily want to kill the highlight.

Flashing could help if it is done carefully and rather precisely in this case. There are various ways to do this from negative masking to cardboard cutouts at the paper plane.

Another way would be to make a selective burning mask like the ones Alan Ross uses. It works great for 4x5 and larger negatives and doesn't require the more complex procedures required in making contrast masks with camera or litho film.

Depending on how complicated you wanted to get, dodge/burn masks can be useful for this type of thing. I'm sometimes able to get a relatively simple one-step sandwich-type mask to work. If you wanted to get more complicated, you could make a flashing mask. This is multiple steps and requires good registration.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    First the mountains in the distance while bright are not blown since there seems to be a lot of good detail in them(top pic #1)
    If you are trying to get the eye to NOT go there I would think that a dodge would be the choice to hold back some of enlarger exposure,resulting in less whiteness to the specific peak, not adding light to then burn it out.
    What exact detail of the pic are you thinking of printing?
    Arthur

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just a note on flashing. I have an electronic timer that can be set in tenths of a second. (If flashing is the route you want to go) what I have done is to make a guide at the usual magnification levels I generally print at and the paper + a contrast (Aristo VCL or use a filter) in tenths of a second fully processed and dry. I can see what the flashing (no negative in the carrier) will be. I can then know how long I want to flash for. Of course sometimes you have to make an adjustment for the final print but you could preflash at different times on a test print sheet. Couple this with some of the suggestion above.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Well, since you sound like you are familiar with hybrid processes, you could print out a little transparency (digineg) of that spot, cover up the rest of the print and burn in that way. But people on here are going to shoot me now, so if you do, don't tell us.

By the way, that's one hell of a picture. Congrats, I really like it as it is now!
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You could perhaps print the area of concern a stop or two darker than the rest (with standard dodge and burn techniques) and then bleach that area selectively. Selective bleaching can really boost contrast a lot. Depending on your bleach, you can reduce proportionally or attack highlights and lend 'brilliance' to them.

Nutty though it may sound if you haven't tried, you can also print small parts of a print at a different grade than the rest, I have played with this and all you do is use multigrade paper and filters and experiment. Under the enlarger, you can lay the filter directly on the print until you figure out which filter and exposure ratio to use, and go from there.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    I would second the notion to burn the area with a double 0 or 0 filter.
    I think you will find you can do this without changing the darker surrounding areas much. Especially if you keep your burn spot on the white mountain and below.
    Don`t worry about exposing part of the darker mountains. If you use a cutout circle for the burn, the top quarter of the (pie) shape covers the white and the bottom three quarters can safely be over the dark mountains.
    If you have never done this split printing you will be amazed.
    In addition, a brief number 5 burn of the white mountain will selectivly darken the crevices, but you will have to stay within the area, as then, the surrounding area will be darkened

Whenever I read your posts I wish I had a lot of money to give to you to save the Hetch Hetchy
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Large Format
    Although on review of the image, you might find you like that bit of white.
    What if, instead, you bleached the flat light grey rocks or ice in front of the big rock to balance the mountain.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin