Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,492   Posts: 1,571,374   Online: 996

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Even if you're a great printer, I doubt you'll make much money, if anything at all. The greatest printers in the world still struggle to survive and even then, they have to adjust to market demands in some capacity (offer film/print scanning services, teaching photography workshops, etc.) and do not strictly do printing and film developing in the darkroom. I hope Bob Carnie will chime into this thread at some point with his experiences in Toronto and his knowledge of the printing industry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have heard a wooden boat described as "a hole in the water, surrounded by wood, into which one throws money." I'd describe my darkroom as something similar.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 01-14-2012 at 11:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I have heard a wooden boat described as "a hole in the water, surrounded by wood, into which one throws money." I'd describe a darkroom as something similar.
    No prospects here. I build my self a wooden boat AND I have a dark room.
    Printen is net als leren fietsen. Theorie helpt niet, je moet het doen.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Great timing on this thread... I've been crunching the numbers for the idea of taking over a rental darkroom here in San Diego and trying to figure out if I could make it fly.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Sorry I cannot answer this one properly.... I did not get into printing for the money. The OP knows or should know if it will work, no matter what the economic situation is - good times come and go, its the OP's desire to make it happen is what's important. If you have to ask how to do it I doubt there is much chance of success IMO, I started Silver Shack in a recession, 20 years later we are in another one.

Quote Originally Posted by jordanstarr View Post
    Even if you're a great printer, I doubt you'll make much money, if anything at all. The greatest printers in the world still struggle to survive and even then, they have to adjust to market demands in some capacity (offer film/print scanning services, teaching photography workshops, etc.) and do not strictly do printing and film developing in the darkroom. I hope Bob Carnie will chime into this thread at some point with his experiences in Toronto and his knowledge of the printing industry.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Robert - a dangerous line of work- If it is a digital rental area maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Oliver View Post
    Great timing on this thread... I've been crunching the numbers for the idea of taking over a rental darkroom here in San Diego and trying to figure out if I could make it fly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Oliver View Post
    The rental darkrooms that seem to be most successful around here are ones that are associated with existing communities of potential users - especially if there are nearby photo schools with facilities that have limited capacities.

Low overhead is apparently critical!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a darkroom because I like to use it. But I did find someone here who wanted silver gelatin prints from old glass negatives and didn't mind what I charge. Maybe I charge too little, but it covers supplies, daycare (to give me the time to do it), plus some. I don't always have stuff from him to print, but when I do it's sorta worth it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I plan to shoot weddings and offer 150 or so FB 5x7s etc. So I'm thinking that while I'm at it, I could be printing for other photographers too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin