Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,552   Posts: 1,544,909   Online: 933

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

How do you make money with your darkroom?

I really liked the thread: How do you make money with your medium format camera?
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum51/9...at-camera.html

It's one thing to be a great shooter and market your photography, but I think that there might be a larger market for the person who can make prints for other photographers. My local lab has stopped doing B&W for a few years now, and they've told me that people are still asking about it.

What would be the tools and resources you'd need to run a profitable black and white lab?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are in any business you know this, but people keeps asking about stuff that they have no intention of paying for.

I didn't make much money but made some by inventing Silvergrain family of b&w processing chemicals. But that's not something I suggest to others...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can make money by making coffee shop with 4-5 darkroom that you can rent by an hour. If I have a starting capital - I would try this: you can just rent, you can rent and teach ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I process film for a few locals who don't have their own dark rooms. None of my clients desire to do their own as they either don't shoot enough black and white, or don't have the space to justify the outlay for dark room gear. I also print for about half my clients, the rest use hybrid workflow methods.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    I don't think I'd want to get into printing other people's work as pretty much everyone left in analogue photography is by definition keen and discerning. I know that if anyone else printed my shots I'd be thinking "Could have done with dodging/burning/being lighter/being darker/cropping here", etc.. Renting out a darkroom might be a better bet especially if it's your own that you have anyway and if like mine it's actually only used for a small fraction of the time it could be. Then there's the matter of who do you rent it to and do you trust them not to nick the family silver or (even worse) dip into your stash of paper?

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    it is a matter of knowing how much your materials cost and charging something you can live with.
    all you really need is a darkroom and the materials you use to print and process your own work.
    and keep in mind, that you might have to print a few different "versions" of a print at first,
    until you and your clients are on the same page interpretation-wise.

good luck !
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A darkroom is kind of like a house or a boat - it's a hole in the ground/water that you pour money into. Unless you can offer a specialty service that people can't get elsewhere (say platinum printing or other alternative process support) it's highly unlikely that you can earn a living with a darkroom. Make some money? maybe. Maybe even make enough to clear a small profit after your expenses are recovered. Anything more than that is somewhere between flying pigs and frozen inferno.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To make a little money, start with a bigger amount of money. Seriously though, if you could process batches of rolls of film, it might be worthwhile. Figure an hour of labor for any processing, plus chemicals, sleeves, etc... It wouldn't be worthwhile to do 1-2 rolls for someone at a time. 3-5 rolls, perhaps.

I'd let the customer scan them if they want to. You could make a little money teaching them how, but otherwise scanning other people's stuff is drudgery. If you're good at it, teaching would probably be the steadiest way to make money at it. A local adult ed program or community college might hire you if you don't want to do the billing yourself or if you want to get your name out in the community as a competent instructor.

Shooter
    35mm
    There's probably potential to save money by not doing something more expensive like drinking alcohol or browsing ebay.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Even if you could print money in your darkroom, you can't beat the Federal Reserve Quantitative Easing and now the "twist" operation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin