Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,552   Posts: 1,544,920   Online: 879

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

A few basic printing questions

Today i printed a 6x7 negative and have a few basic printing questions. The exposure was at f11 for 10 seconds and also i had to burn the left side for an additional 10 seconds because the lens was inadequate for a 6x7 negative. At first i thought the negative was popping up or down because of the blurry light on the left hand side but i realized it must be the lens. Im using a 75mm Nikon EL-Nikkor and need to get a 90mm or 100mm to cover a 6x7. Are all Nikon lenses of the same sharpness if its a 75mm, 90mm, or 100mm? Is the contrast to much in this print? I like contrast! The film is Adox developed in Rodinal, printed on Ilford rc paper with no contrast filter used while enlarging.

Thanks..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sub.jpg  

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    On top of a bit longer lens, you must make sure the easel is centered to the lens, negative, condensors and bulbs or you will see fall off as you print indicates.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here is a print before the burning was done. Left side issue must be due to the lens on covering a 6x7 negative, am i correct?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sub2.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I never had this issue with 35mm, 6x6 or 645.. This only happened with 6x7 and its on both sides of the negative. The print dose not show the right side because i cropped the right side off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think you have some alignment issues happening. Using a 75mm lens would show slight fall off in the corners equally, not offset as your print shows. You need to check that the condensors are aligned as well as the negative carrier and lens.

Are you cropping the image using the easel?
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I cropped it on the easel. How would i go by adjusting the condensers? Im using a beseler mcrx. When i first received the enlarger i removed the condensers from the metal tube to clean them because they were filthy and i put them back in the order they were removed. I believe they are held down by a snap ring.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi cantore

sometimes enlargers have a secondary condenser, or a different configuration for different format films.
    i have a little durst m601 and you are supposed to change the square condensers when doing 6x6,
    and with the omega d3v ( sort of ) there is a condenser i am supposed to slide under the lamp house
    and above the big condenser lenses ... maybe someone with the same one or knowledge of yours
    can comment about the max. format it is capable of taking, without fall off ( like you are getting ).
    ( i know nothing about besslers )

nice print btw !
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Did you crop by moving the easel????? if so my post above is very relavent.

Quote Originally Posted by cantore View Post
    I never had this issue with 35mm, 6x6 or 645.. This only happened with 6x7 and its on both sides of the negative. The print dose not show the right side because i cropped the right side off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bob, Jnan & Rick... Thanks you guys for the advice! I fell like an idiot right now! I made such a rookie mistake and if yous want to hold me down and kick me a few times i deserve it. Yes i moved the easel because i liked the composition of the image the way its in the print. I also did that another time also with a 6x7 neg which made me think it was the format/lens combo. The print is of the lower left side of the negative.. You guys are great and i really appreciate all your help.. I think i will go and put my head under the pillow for a while

Images
    Good Evening, Cantore,

I also have a 75mm El Nikkor and use a Beseler MCR-X enlarger. That lens will NOT cover a 6 x 7 negative adequately, although it will come close if everything is well centered. You do need to have the condensers set properly to be sure light covers the entire negative; I've added a mark about 1/2 inch above the 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 mark on the scale for use in printing 6 x 7 negatives. Setting the condensers at the 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 mark would cause no problem, just very slightly less-concentrated light--a matter of no practical consequence.

Konical

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin