Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,965   Online: 818

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Good stuff Doremus.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Why?
    If you use a #2 filter to start then the next filter is the next grade.

If you use no filter, then find you need to go up or down a grade, what filter do you pick, and what is the exposure change?

(If you know the answer to that - or have worked it out - great. But this used to bug me... I didn't really know how far the next step or what exposure it would take.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post

If you use no filter, then find you need to go up or down a grade, what filter do you pick, and what is the exposure change?

(If you know the answer to that - or have worked it out - great. But this used to bug me... I didn't really know how far the next step or what exposure it would take.)
    Actually use VC paper and the recommendations included with the paper.

Color head on the enlarger so I can dial in whatever grade I please.

I use a Beseler PM2L to set exposure time, I can actually watch the needle move from the normal time to the new time as I dial in the filters.

The PM2L's biggest problem in finding the time is me.

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Bill has it right.

Also, when you use the #2 filter for an exposure, and then decide that a #2.5 filter would be better, you will be able to use an exposure time with the #2.5 filter that is either the same or very close to the same as the exposure time you used with the #2 filter.

It also helps to systemize your process - if you have a workflow that always deals with contrast filtration, you will be much less likely to forget to use the filtration when you mean to do so.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Pardon me if I misunderstand your meaning, but it seems you are suggesing that the filter # is equal to a contrast grade. There is no real correlation between a single VC filter and an ISO Range Number. Generally, the higher the filter #, then the higher the apparent contrast. But, it is possible for two filters to produce the same, or very near the same contrast i.e., ISO Range Number, given the particular paper, light source, and developer.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My thoughts were not to use a #2 filter 'specifically' or to rely on the grades being ANSI.

I just think it would be a good idea to use a filter (or filtration) instead of unfiltered so that you don't have to figure out the next step.

Another thought. It might be good to make first round tests on whole filter number jumps instead of half filters.

It goes back to the f/stop time idea that you work up tests in dramatic increments so you can see the potential and know your direction. Then refine it once you know it has to be in-between.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My thoughts were not to use a #2 filter 'specifically' or to rely on the grades being ANSI.

I just think it would be a good idea to use a filter (or filtration) instead of unfiltered so that you don't have to figure out the next step.

Another thought. It might be good to make first round tests on whole filter number jumps instead of half filters.

Thanks for the clarification.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Good point.

I referred to using a #2 filter because most likely that will give contrast that is most similar to the unfiltered exposure, and therefore would fit well with the rest of the suggested procedure I was responding to.

But another filter or filter setting can also be made to work.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    ... and know your direction. ...
    I must say that this is a challenge, the direction isn't necessarily intuitive. It seems to me to be an art, not a science.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    I must say that this is a challenge, the direction isn't necessarily intuitive. It seems to me to be an art, not a science.
    Ever try approaching it from just one direction, build the contrast from a purposely low level till you reach the preferred level?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin