Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,947   Online: 777

Shooter
    Multi Format

First time making Dektol: Dissolving issue

So I've just re-opened my school's old darkroom. Pretty much everything has gone over without a hitch, thankfully. Today, I mixed my chemicals for the first time. Stop and fixer went over fine, a little spilled but I'll get used to it. When I mixed the dektol, I put 3 liters of water (room temp; I didn't realize it was supposed to be hot) in a bucket, then poured in the powder, stirring gently all the while. When I had poured all of it in, there were still little white flakes floating in the solution. I poured in the extra .8 liter of water, hot, but it still did not dissolve. I've poured it into the container and left it for today.

Will this affect the prints in a major way, and if so, is there anything I can do to fix it without buying more Dektol?
    In other worlds he has
    darker days, blacker swells.
    Strokes that mix noir revenge
    on waves of grey.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Eventually it may dissolve into solution but in the future you really want to mix it hot and let it cool overnight.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Images
    Good Evening, EK,

I've always found Dektol to dissolve very readily. If I recall correctly, Kodak recommends a water temperature of 100 degrees Fahrenheit. I often used water at a somewhat higher temperature and never noticed any deleterious effects. D-76 was usually much more difficult to work with, and I always made double-sure that the water temperature was at or above what was recommended. After doing chemical preparation in several different communities, I am convinced that there are subtle differences in public water supplies which may make dissolution a little easier or harder.

Konical
    Last edited by Konical; 01-31-2012 at 06:31 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If you have a filter funnel, you can trap these particles and then slowly pour a little warm water on them. They dissolve easily in water (but not so easily in the stock concentration of Dektol).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always have a little bit of undissolved powder in my solution when I mix it. However, they are all dissolved into the solution the next day. I use hot water as per spec for my mix.

I do not know this to be 100% true but makes sense: if you have undissolved powder when you prepare your tray, filter it out because if they get on the paper, they are highly active that emulsion may over develop on that spot.

Chances are, those powders are gone the next time you check your mix.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi

how about getting a large container and filling it with very hot water ... and make a water jacket
    to raise the temperature of your dektol ... if you don't have something large enough for your gallon of dektol
    pour off some of it into a smaller container ( like a hand tank for processing film ), and put that smaller container in your hot water and stir until the powder is dissolved.
    then do this again and again until you have remixed all of your dektol.
    i have found using metal tanks for processing 35mm ( &c ) film transfers heat readily to whatever liquid might be inside of it.

good luck !
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good idea. I think I'll immerse the container in hot water tomorrow (my hot water supply is somewhat limited, being a public school building, but I'll try my best). I figure it's probably a temperature issue. Oh well, first time is probably the best time to learn these sorts of things.
    In other worlds he has
    darker days, blacker swells.
    Strokes that mix noir revenge
    on waves of grey.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

alcohol vs water soluble

what happens if an alcohol but not water soluble chemical is first dissolved in alcohol and then poured into water . will the chemical fall ou of solution o stay dissolved ?
    i thought i'd sk before i try
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I always dissolve phenidone and dimezone-s in alcohol before adding to developer..they melt like butter.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin