Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,941   Posts: 1,557,533   Online: 1126

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8x10, x2

Shooter
    Multi Format

8x10, x2

I just got outta the darkroom and I still smells like Dektol. Alright lets get to the point, when I was in there I decided to put 2 sheets of 8x10 next to each other and printed it at the same time.

I call that my poor man's 16x10, its actually not too bad, and fits the 35mm frame nicely, well, as long as you don't stick your nose into it, sure looks a lot better and attractive than 8x10, from a distance.

I think I just might build an easel for that purpose.

Last edited by dehk; 02-02-2012 at 03:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    16x20 would take four sheets of 8x10. Two 8x10s would be either a 10x16 or an 8x20 depending on which way you turned the paper.

Did you do that in one easel? Interested in how you kept the two prints aligned and the paper flat. This could have uses. I'd be inclined to print those on one 16x20 sheet since I can do so, but this would also allow, say, 14x22 or 11x28 panoramas on two sheets of 11x14, or correspondingly larger sizes using 16x20.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dehk View Post
    I just got outta the darkroom and I still smells like Dektol. Alright lets get to the point, when I was in there I decided to put 2 sheets of 8x10 next to each other and printed it at the same time.

I call that my poor man's 16x10, its actually not too bad, and fits the 35mm frame nicely, well, as long as you don't stick your nose into it, sure looks a lot better and attractive than 8x10, from a distance.

I think I just might build an easel for that purpose.

interesting conceptcouldn't you use a 16x20 easel?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You guys are absolutely correct. In my silly and tiredness I wrote 16x20. I caught myself half an hour later staring at it and edited the post to 16x10 which is the correct size. But that tells you I am very good at math right?

How I did it was rather silly too, as I do not have an easel bigger than 8x10, nor paper. Can't afford those come on . The negative I chose was rather dense, and my lens only opens up to f3.5 (if i used the red filter under the lens and put the paper there I wouldn't be able to see the edges) so it ended up rather tedious.

First I use a big piece of foam board and sit it on the base, with the safe light on I put 2 pieces of 8x10 paper on there, line them up pretty good, and use a pencil to draw four corners and couple lines on the board. after that I put the paper back in the box. Turn the enlarger on, and adjust the projection to the outline that i've made on the foam board (well I put something heavy on the board so it wouldn't move much either). And then I would turn the enlarger off again and line the papers back up to where I've marked with tape at the back. And then I stop down the lens quite a bit to make sure it will be ok even though if the paper is not perfectly flat. Print.

- I found out that 16x10 I is pretty close to a full frame 135, which is a plus.
    - I originally thinking mounting 2 photos and put them next to each other, But right now I imagine they won't look too bad inside a single photo frame either.

Like I said I might make an 16x10 easel, since it actually worked out well, I don't have the money but I have the tools!

Cheers.
    - Derek

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Or you can go bigger and use 3 or 4 sheets of 16x20. My 'poor man's mural print.'

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dektol shouldn't have much of an odor, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Or you can go bigger and use 3 or 4 sheets of 16x20. My 'poor man's mural print.'
    Definitely I have to do that when I can afford papers bigger than 8x10, well, in reality i need something that worth printing that big first!
    - Derek

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Dektol shouldn't have much of an odor, though.
    Oh i am a messy printer when vodka is involved.
    - Derek

Shooter
    Multi Format
    By the way this is my poorly finished product.

http://dehk.wordpress.com/2012/02/02/8x10-8x10/
    - Derek

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah sure. Tells us he can't afford 16x20 and then turns around and splashes his prints in gold toner
    Fantastic print! Love it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin