Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,070   Online: 1128

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Durst M 600 Opal Screen

I'm wanting to move from a Dichro to a semi-diffused light source. Because I frequently move my LPL 670 dichro enlarger I'm considering a smaller enlarger without a power supply.

Durst M-600

There are different degrees of diffuseness in illumination systems.

If one uses an opal bulb and the opal screen in the M 600 will the quality of illumination move to a more fully diffused light source vs just using the opal bulb? Or said another way will use of both opal bulb and screen reduce the Callier effect.

The Kaiser 9005 uses both opal screens and condenser but the diffuser is always under the condenser. Kaiser claims this is the best balance and I'm wondering if the M 600 has a similar balance.

More Questions

Has anyone unsatisfied with the Durst M 600 because of dust and neg surface flaws. My experience would indicate glass holders would be a dust problem.

What did you like and dislike about the M 600?

My enlarger end use is to enlarge 645 negatives projected to 6x8 inches or 9x12 inches.
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 02-04-2012 at 10:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I believe the "balance" is between lamp wattage and light output. Dichoric diffusion heads are not very efficient, whereas condenser heads are more efficient. Using a hybrid approach has the advantage of both a diffuse source and lower wattage lamp.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    My guess is use of the M 600 opal screen AND 75 watt opal bulb lengthens exposures without addition dust suppression. Upping the bulb wattage results in unwanted heat.

Any M 600 user comments about your enlarger experience would be appreciated. My Google search is turning up comments about uneven illumination and limited baseboard space using a four bladed easel.
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 02-05-2012 at 07:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I have done more research. The instructions advise to remove the opal screen if using the opal bulb. The intent was to use one or the other.

Base Board Footprint:

The M 600 baseboard is a little larger (15 1/2 x 19 1/2) than a Valoy baseboard. This is a very compact enlarger.

Without a color head/transformer it would be very easy to move and store.
    RJ

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello Richard;
    Had one of these and used it as a condenser only enlarger. Before putting it into service, a complete cleaning was done. Never had any issues with dust and liked the adjustable film carrier. When putting away take a clean trash bag and tie over the head assembly. Good luck, Steven.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Thanks. There is a new in the box M 600 on e-bay.
    RJ

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin