Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,474   Posts: 1,570,977   Online: 817

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

First darkroom in 28 years, 45MX help...

So I have my own darkroom again, pretty stoked about that to say the least. I am having a couple of issues that need resolving:

1. I am missing the bellows / film format scale on the right side of the upper bellows. I can easily make a new one out of scrap aluminum but need the specs of the piece, correct distances measured out, anyone want to take a ruler to theirs and post the measurements?

2. I am using an Aristo Cold Light Head, my exposure times for Multigrade are super short, 2-4 seconds on a good negative at F/8 with my 90mm F/4 Apo-Rodagon, 120 film. I need to get the times up to 10-20 seconds to be able to work correctly, any ideas for trouble shooting?

3. I have a glass carrier, tried it out last night with a super curly 120 neg of Rollei ATP 1.1. I put the darn neg in upside down and got distinct and numerous newton rings....is this a carrier thing or an upside down neg thing?

Other than that, the prints look awesome, love that 90 Apo!
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have the Beseler 4x5 glass carrier and it is indeed a regular newton ring factory. It is the base side (shinier, upper side if put in properly) that does this; the duller base side is usually fine. I find that taping the negative down to the lower glass is enough to prevent newton rings for me.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    2 - Can't really help you. I do know from the small amount that I printed 6x6 on my 23C-II, I had the same problems. It was pretty annoying. I guess I was just making too small of prints for reasonable printing times.

3 - Is it a regular glass carrier? If so, maybe get a sheet of AN glass for the top. Should help with newton rings. Focal Point should be able to cut you a custom sized sheet if they don't stock the right thing already.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Are you using any filters with the MG paper? What size prints? You could also stop down more. I used to use the same light with 120 and 4x5 but with graded paper and don't recall exposures being that short. When I switched to multigrade paper years ago I bought the Aristo 4500 VCL and also never have such short exposures. Double check your lens to be sure it stops down. I can't help with the glass carrier since I don't have one.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    2. Non-optical quality neutral density sheets from Roscoe or Lee can be used to cut a set of custom-fit, above the lens filters. I did this with my Zone VI cold light head specifically to increase my exposure times. (I like smaller prints.) Placed them inside the round housing, above the diffusion sheet. Or, optical quality density neutral filters can be used below the lens.

3. Yes, AN glass on top, fuzzy side down in contact with non-emulsion side of the negative. Some carriers include a clear bottom glass (my Omega D5 ones do), while some (LPL, I seem to remember?) use no lower glass. For 35mm negatives that usually have a slight concave bowing on the lower emulsion side the bottom glass is often not even required.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I used to have one of those side of the bellows scales but I think it fell off and found it's way into the recycling bin.
    However if you are using a cold light head it is a moot point. You are supposed to keep the top bellows collapsed.
    I do generally keep my top bellows open a bit, maybe an inch or two so that the cold light doesn't sit so close to the film.
    When printing 4x5 you have to collapse the top bellows all the way but with roll film you can back it off a bit like I do.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    I am missing the bellows / film format scale on the right side of the upper bellows. I can easily make a new one out of scrap aluminum but need the specs of the piece, correct distances measured out, anyone want to take a ruler to theirs and post the measurements?
    (From an earlier thread) Here are the indicator mark measurements for the different size negatives, all from the LOWER of the two screw holes:

4 x 5--one inch up
    3 /14 x 4 1/4--2 3/16" up
    2 1/4 x 3 1/4--3 1/4 " up
    2 1/4 x 2 1/4--4 1/4" up
    35mm--5 3/4" up.

Keep in mind that the precision required here is not very great. Actually, you can enlarge all the smaller sized negatives with the head set at 4 x 5, although that doesn't make greatest use of the enlarger's light intensity. If in doubt, just fudge a bit on the side of a bigger negative.

FWIW, I just bought one of these indicators on e bay fairly cheap because the seller had it listed as an Omega part and I just stumbled across it.

Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    However if you are using a cold light head it is a moot point. You are supposed to keep the top bellows collapsed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys, I put in a pretty big order for supplies and added in a set of large ND gels that I will use.
    I modified my glasses carrier to keep negs flatter and did a session last night and it worked great, so I will figure out the glass one as needed.

And where can one find a full frame 6 x 6 carrier for the 45 series? I know SK Grimes can mill out a second carrier for me so that might be the ticket for now....

Thanks again!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Thanks guys, I put in a pretty big order for supplies and added in a set of large ND gels that I will use.
    I modified my glasses carrier to keep negs flatter and did a session last night and it worked great, so I will figure out the glass one as needed.

And where can one find a full frame 6 x 6 carrier for the 45 series? I know SK Grimes can mill out a second carrier for me so that might be the ticket for now....

Thanks again!
    PKM-25,

What did you do to modify your glassless (glasses) carrier? I'm rebuilding my darkroom and have Tri-X sticks 6 frames long with a horrendous curl. I'd hate to spend $200 for an ANR carrier if they don't work well.

s-a

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    PKM-25,

What did you do to modify your glassless (glasses) carrier? I'm rebuilding my darkroom and have Tri-X sticks 6 frames long with a horrendous curl. I'd hate to spend $200 for an ANR carrier if they don't work well.

s-a
    Used black gaffers tape to both hold down the negative and shim the other sides, worked well last night, but the negs were not super curly either.
    I just find that the glassless carrier lets a little bend pop up on the film, so shimming it worked fab, could have printed wide open.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin