Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,869   Online: 1054

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images

LPL 6700/7700 Universal Negative Carrier for 35mm?

I have a rare few frames of 35mm that I'd like to print. I have the universal glass carrier for my LPL 7700 but never printed 35mm with it. I recently bought a 35mm glassless neg carrier for the enlarger but have not used it yet. Just curious to those users of the universal carrier, do you use it for 35mm as well? Or is this too many surfaces for dust on a small negative? Am I better off to use the glassless carrier?

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The glassless allows fast and easy setup and alignment of the negative in the center under the mixing chamber and right above the lens. The adjustable carrier offers flat negatives and if you like to set up for boarders like in a filed neg carrier. But a pain to align in center (important when using shorter focal lengths) and to get parallel sides.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    I always use the glass one and don't have any particuliar dust problems or alignment problems. It keeps the negative nice and flat and you can print full frame. the masking blades aren't perfectly aligned, but it is better to use the easel blades for a clean edge.
    Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I personally use the glass carrier for 35 mm, although I recently acquired a glassless one that I intend to file the edges of a bit in order to get some of the film rebate in--I also picked up a 6x6 cm version for this same purpose.

The glass carrier is a bit frustrating--it does indeed keep your negatives nice and flat, but I find it very difficult to keep mine free of dust specks. I also had to replace the upper glass piece with the anti-Newton glass, as I was often getting Newton rings in prints before that. If you do intend to use the glass carrier--and it is convenient and very useful in the main--I would highly recommend that modification to it. B&H carries the replacement glass for around $35.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I started with the 35mm glassless carrier wtih my 7700 - but when I started playing with MF, I bought the universal carrier and the glass (including the ANG) - I have to admit, I haven't looked back since. When I use the uni carrier with 35mm, I haven't found it to be too much of a hassle getting the negs in the centre. Maybe I don't command perfection...LOL!

As for dust, I haven't had too many problems, which suprises me, considering the low humidity where I live.
    Last edited by hoffy; 02-14-2012 at 10:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks guys for the responses. Just curious, how can one tell if the top glass is anti-newton ring glass or not? I'm not sure if I have it on mine or not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The top glass if anti-newton will not be entirely clear, but have a patterned surface.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    If you look at the underside of the AN glass at an angle, the surface will look textured, and not shiny like plain glass.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin