Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,713   Posts: 1,514,717   Online: 841

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Enlarger LPL diffusion modular enlager model 7451

Hi everyone,
    Someone wants to sell me an LPL diffusion modular enlager model 7451 at a good price with lots of item included. I was wondering if someone could tell what I should look for to see if the enlarger works properly ? What tests could I execute to find out if it is worth it ?
    Thank you
    Jacques

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would talk to KHB about this - they are knowledgeable, helpful and the most likely source for any parts or accessories you may need.

Admittedly they are in Ontario, but we can forgive them for that I guess

http://www.khbphotografix.com/LPL/LPL7451.htm
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It should have a power supply with it.
    When the head is plugged into the power supply and you turn on the switch, the fan in the head should start up
    The lamp is intended to be controlled through an external timer. If this is a complete set up, then presumably a timer would be included. So using the timer's switches you can turn the lamp off and on.
    The head should slide freely up and down the column with no binding, and the lock when it's tightened should hold the head in place.
    The focusing should operate freely.
    There should be no leaks in the bellows, but there will likely be some leaks at the head near the lamp, this is normal.
    Alignment on these is not user adjustable, so as far as I know.
    These were/are quite expensive when new, and you can see some examples of the pricing on KHB's web site.
    However, the street value of a second-hand one is pretty low in comparison to what the values had been.

There are three different head configurations, the plain diffuser, a color head and a variable contrast B&W head. The modules for these are interchangable, though the color and VC modules are expensive. Of the three, the VC module is probably the most desirable, if it has just the diffusion module then you'll need to use below the lens filters for VC papers.

They are great enlargers, perhaps second only to the big Dursts.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thank you for the information it is very useful.
    Jacques

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    It should have a power supply with it.
    When the head is plugged into the power supply and you turn on the switch, the fan in the head should start up
    The lamp is intended to be controlled through an external timer. If this is a complete set up, then presumably a timer would be included. So using the timer's switches you can turn the lamp off and on.
    The head should slide freely up and down the column with no binding, and the lock when it's tightened should hold the head in place.
    The focusing should operate freely.
    There should be no leaks in the bellows, but there will likely be some leaks at the head near the lamp, this is normal.
    Alignment on these is not user adjustable, so as far as I know.
    These were/are quite expensive when new, and you can see some examples of the pricing on KHB's web site.
    However, the street value of a second-hand one is pretty low in comparison to what the values had been.

There are three different head configurations, the plain diffuser, a color head and a variable contrast B&W head. The modules for these are interchangable, though the color and VC modules are expensive. Of the three, the VC module is probably the most desirable, if it has just the diffusion module then you'll need to use below the lens filters for VC papers.

They are great enlargers, perhaps second only to the big Dursts.
    I only want add that there is an adjustment at the lens stage if it is a late enough model; if you don't see the adjustment screws as indicated in the attachment, then only shimming is possible.

I own the Saunders 4550XLG (i.e., 7452), I think the 7451 (which is the Saunders 4500II) has the same lens stage adjustment as the 7452, again, if the model is late enough. If you have the screws, and it requires adjustment, be sure to give KHB a call, they give you the precautions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LPL-7452e.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I only want add that there is an adjustment at the lens stage if it is a late enough model; if you don't see the adjustment screws as indicated in the attachment, then only shimming is possible.

I own the Saunders 4550XLG (i.e., 7452), I think the 7451 (which is the Saunders 4500II) has the same lens stage adjustment as the 7452, again, if the model is late enough. If you have the screws, and it requires adjustment, be sure to give KHB a call, they give you the precautions.
    Cool, thanks for that information!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin