Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,827   Posts: 1,582,084   Online: 927

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the APO-Componon HM enlarging lenses. They're superb.

For the sizes your working with I doubt you would observe any significant
    improvement using those over using the Componon-S lenses.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah those APO HMs are probably awesome, but I just can't spend that kind of money on a HM lens if I don't do High Mag work.

So it looks like Componon S for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your Componon-S is an excellent lens. The APO-Componon is noticeably better, but for 11X14s it is probably not worth the $. As I understand it, the G-Claron is of somewhat lesser quality than the Rodagon-G but is often favored for portrait printing. The Rodagon-G is excellent, but I have no experience with the G-Claron. If you can find them, the 150mm EL-Nikkor and APO-EL-Nikkor are both outstanding. For what you are doing, I would stick with the Componon-S, unless I had an urge to spend excess cash.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Thanks Konical. This is what I'm thinking too. Ideally it would be nice to have the best of everything even if it is overkill, but that only works if money is no object, and in some cases it makes little (if any) difference beyond the realm of laboratory testing.
    Michael,

But money is an object or you wouldn't have mentioned it. If you want the best of everything, a better, cheaper place to begin would be with your images.

With 35mm negs and GAS,

s-Taking my own advice-a

I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

According to Ctein...

enlarging lenses are designed for specific magnification ranges. APOs are optimized for large magnification ratios and may not be stellar performers at 3-5X. Most 6 el. 50mm enlarging lenses are optimized at 8-10X, APOs somewhat higher. Four element lenses are usually optimized for 4-6X.

At 3X in your application, I think the $$$ would be better spent in another area.
    -Fred

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    Michael,

But money is an object or you wouldn't have mentioned it. If you want the best of everything, a better, cheaper place to begin would be with your images.

With 35mm negs and GAS,

s-Taking my own advice-a

What I meant is that if I had unlimited funds it would be fun to have the best of equipment regardless of whether or not it made any difference. Obviously equipment doesn't make images.

Nworth, I'm surprised to hear you say the APO is actually noticeably better. What do you mean specifically? And at what enlargement sizes? Color or B&W?

Thanks
    Michael

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin