Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,776   Online: 738

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My guess is that in the circumstance you described it will not make any difference. However, in my printing I have found that to get a print with the highlights and shadows where I want them, the soft exposure must be determined first. My rationale for this is that the soft exposure also affects the shadows more than the hard exposure also affects the highlights. So if I start with the hard exposure first and get the shadows where I want them, a subsequent soft exposure will overexpose the shadows. Conversely, if I set the highlights first (which also begins to expose the shadows), the subsequent shadow exposure darkens the highlights very little (if at all,) while "finishing" the shadow exposure.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Henderson View Post
    My guess is that in the circumstance you described it will not make any difference. However, in my printing I have found that to get a print with the highlights and shadows where I want them, the soft exposure must be determined first.
    So, if I understand you correctly, order is important when working up the print but, once you have found the right exposures for each filter, the order in which they are laid down does not make a difference.

Yes, I set the soft filter first then determined the hard filter. After I worked them up, I printed the two exposures in the opposite order and it didn't seem to be different.

BTW: I also took the advice of others, here, and tried printing with only one filter. I determined that a #3 filter came up with a result that's nearly the same as what I got with a #0/#5 split. I think I'm going to try a #3-1/2 single contrast print and compare to what I got with the split filter.

Overall, I think I have learned that I can do what I need with only one contrast filter unless I have the need to alter the contrast in just one area of the print. Even though it ended up taking more time to work up a split grade print only to end up doing a single contrast print, I think I have learned something that can be useful later on if I need it.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Nope. I reverse the order all the time from print to print of the same image without seeing any difference in the
    dry print. But if you are doing complex dodging/burning it might be helpful to be consistent just from a memorizing standpoint.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    So, if I understand you correctly, order is important when working up the print but, once you have found the right exposures for each filter, the order in which they are laid down does not make a difference.

Yes, I set the soft filter first then determined the hard filter. After I worked them up, I printed the two exposures in the opposite order and it didn't seem to be different.

BTW: I also took the advice of others, here, and tried printing with only one filter. I determined that a #3 filter came up with a result that's nearly the same as what I got with a #0/#5 split. I think I'm going to try a #3-1/2 single contrast print and compare to what I got with the split filter.

Overall, I think I have learned that I can do what I need with only one contrast filter unless I have the need to alter the contrast in just one area of the print. Even though it ended up taking more time to work up a split grade print only to end up doing a single contrast print, I think I have learned something that can be useful later on if I need it.
    Well, what I know is that for me, the order is crucial while working up the print. What I guess is that it doesn't matter after that.

The problem that I had with single-fliter printing is that I would find the correct exposure with the filter I guessed was right. Then if I needed to change the filter for more or less contrast, the exposure changed. It seemed like I was constantly chasing my tail to get both exposure and contrast right. Just the other day I read a post by someone here who described doing the very thing that frustrated me, yet he seemed to think it was just part of the business of making a print. Since I have learned to do split grade printing I get my base exposure and contrast with two test strips. No muss, no fuss.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Nope. I reverse the order all the time from print to print of the same image without seeing any difference in the
    dry print. But if you are doing complex dodging/burning it might be helpful to be consistent just from a memorizing standpoint.
    tha's why i prepare and store a print map for every negative
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin