Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,033   Online: 1000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Split Grade: Does order matter?

Let's say I have worked up a print the way I like it and I printed split grade with 0 and 5 filters.

Now it's time to make my final prints. Say I want to make two more prints: 1 for toning and framing one to keep in my folder as reference.

I print the first print with the 0 filter then the 5 filter. When I make the second print, the 5 is already in the enlarger. It just makes sense to print the 5 filter first then change to the 0 filter. There's a lot less fumbling around in the dark that way.

Will printing the filters in a different order make a difference in how the final print comes out?
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Probably not. Unless there are issues about accuracy of timing, or reciprocity.

By that I mean that if your exposure times are so short as to make it hard to maintain consistency, then you might see differences.

Or, if the light levels are so low as to require very long exposures, there might be inconsistent results due to reciprocity failure.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    no difference , i predict.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the times for both filters are identical and your filter for grade 2.5 is exactly in between 0 and 5 you will also produce an identical result only using a single filter. It has been shown more than once. E.g. In Davis, Beyond the Zone System, Fourth Edition, pp. 158, 159. Splitting is just another way to get to the right filtration (not considering dodging and burning).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    No difference at all; I've tried it. Just make sure you're consistent in your timing between exposure and development; you'll probably see a difference if you expose the two grades an hour apart and then immediately develop because the paper slowly loses its exposure.

With a little math+experimentation and assuming you're printing uniformly (i.e. no dodges or burns that are different in each grade) then you can do it as a single exposure at an intermediate grade. Not much point though unless you need to produce a lot of copies.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    According to this article,yes.I've never seen it though.My eyes might not be as good as Mr. McClean's http://www.lesmcleanphotography.com/...ull&article=21

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Or your consistency may be higher. But I never said that...
    But as it is not possible to proof any kind of effect to be nonexistant as you can not test each and every conceivable variation and scenario where it might show, the discussion will probably never end.
    Last edited by skahde; 03-01-2012 at 08:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a two channel timer so it does matter for me. I have each channel preset for a specific filter time, my timer switches automatically.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One curious exception I discovered: unregulated coldlight. During the exposure the intensity decreases as it heats above the set pre-warm temp.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To me there is a difference. Maybe I just look long enough and hard enough to see a difference but my thought is you can make the whites black but you can't make the blacks white once you have layered them in. My approach is to darken the highlights not brighten the shadows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin