Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,450   Posts: 1,570,092   Online: 864

Shooter
    Medium Format

Beseler 23c owners, can you help me with info about condenser and diffuser?

Upon examining my 23cii, I noticed that the diffuser and condenser are missing the little light seals. I'd like to replace them, so can you tell me:

a) what they're made of,

b) how high they are? I think they probably are high enough to seal against the roof of the slide area, but I want to be sure.

Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    3mm high
    143mm long
    10mm wide

This is what I was able to measure in the below diffusion part, this what you are asking about?

The below shows you how I got 143 long
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Btw they are foam, maybe a John Goodman seal kit would work?

Oh Ian...
    Andy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, Andy - that's exactly what I was asking about.

I think I can use some self-adhesive velvet, or maybe a bit of foam and cut it down.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Glad to help. What is nice about your query, is it made me realize my foam has degraded, so looks like that makes two of us, re-sealing today. Thanks for the question, I never knew there was even foam there, let alone degraded foam on mine. best, a
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm

Seals ? What seals?

I didn't know there were supposed to be seals, perhaps a former owner removed mine. Do I need them? Thanks.

Best regards,
    Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I had a 23C a few years ago, light was leaking out of the top bellows that slide along the condensor sleeve as it gets moved up and down between covering 6x6 and 35mm.

I made a kluge fix light trap up out of some velcro stiched to the end of a band of black velour. The band wrapped around the condensor cone, and the velcro did not come all the way to the ege of the band, so there was a kind of skirt that rode over the edge of the belows and blocked the light.

The velour came from a black kids church type dres bought at the thirft shop just for the right kind of fabric to cut to make my own 'skirt'. I guess someone when little had to go to grandma or grandpa's funeral when they were little, and this was the dress they wore.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Chris,

I find that my 23cII leaks light, so I've started to work on sealing it up. The seals I was asking about are atop the diffuser (if you have one) or condenser lens apparatus. When the diffuser/condenser slides in on the rails, there's a small gap, and light can leak out. I fixed this issue with some spare self-adhesive Velcro. I took the fuzzy part and cut it into narrow strips, which I then affixed to the condenser/diffuser as zsas shows in his picture.

Next I cut some soft foam to fit into the hinged lid, and used a large rubber band to hold the lid against the enlarger head. No more leaks from there!

I will now have to seal up where the lightbulb goes in (no biggie, just more foam) and will make a skirt as Mike Wilde mentions, except that my last leak is where the negative carrier slides into the enlarger.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin