Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,706   Posts: 1,482,837   Online: 1011

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm a little like you, Rachelle - no darkroom at all here in BKK, so when I get to head home to AU, I spend as much quality time as I can in the darkroom, to get my "fix".

First step is to process any film that I've shot, and wait (im)patiently for it to dry.
    Next I have a look at these negs on my lightbox; (sometimes I'll print a contact sheet, but these days I can tell from the neg if it will print well.)
    I'll also take the time to revisit previous negs that I've not printed up, and select a few to add to the list of prints.

The day of printing, I'll start early and often can finish really late - only taking the mandatory breaks needed - food, water, bathroom - sometimes it can be a 12 hour day, other times maybe 6-8.

If I'm home for 6 weeks, I'll try my hardest to spend one day a week in the darkroom, as it's my "me-time" when nothing else matters except the negs, the paper, my music selection and the ability to work my magic to produce some prints that I'm extremely happy and proud of.

Being starved of the darkroom kills me, but I love stepping inside every chance I get, just so I can work my artistic muscles yet again!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    After spending quite a lot of time over the last week studying my contact sheets and making notes, I can't see how anyone could reasonably work and edit their photos just by looking at their negatives. I know several people have posted in this thread as such, but I just don't get it. With contact sheets, you can sit on the sofa with a sharpie and a glass of wine and really get some thinking and learning done.

I suspect that the people who work exclusively from negatives are underperforming their potential as photographers.

My two cents, y'all.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Maybe drinking too much wine will cloud your vision , done that before in my time.

Quote Originally Posted by ParkerSmithPhoto View Post
    After spending quite a lot of time over the last week studying my contact sheets and making notes, I can't see how anyone could reasonably work and edit their photos just by looking at their negatives. I know several people have posted in this thread as such, but I just don't get it. With contact sheets, you can sit on the sofa with a sharpie and a glass of wine and really get some thinking and learning done.

I suspect that the people who work exclusively from negatives are underperforming their potential as photographers.

My two cents, y'all.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin