Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,950   Posts: 1,557,894   Online: 920

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There is no reason not to learn to print color and B&W at the same time. They are different in that you have different controls and what you can do with one, you cannot really do with the other. But likewise, there is much that is similar.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You do need to be specially careful to avoid light leaks in a colour darkroom. And you may prefer to have an additional set of tongs, trays, storage bottles and graduates in order to permit "dedicating" one set to each process, but otherwise the only practical differences are:

1) tighter constraints regarding temperature; and
    2) less (or no) safelight illumination available.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LJSLATER View Post
    I am tentatively planning on quitting my job this summer, moving to California, and dedicating my full attention to photographing and printing (that is, when I'm not playing video games, drinking, cleaning up after my dog, drinking, etc.)
    Win the lottery?

You do know that means becoming a Californian, don't you? A resident of the most hated state in the union. Your friends will no longer speak to you, unless they want to come for a visit and sleep on your couch. You will have to give up your godly incandescent light bulbs for unholy CFL's. You will be ostracized and attacked out of state, particularly in Oregon (have your gas pumped for you by a toothless attendant!), Montana (no speed limits!) – and I'm really not kidding here, IDAHO (speed, on every corner), simply because your California plates identify you prejudicially as a member of a certain political class. Just remember where most Californians really come from, other states and places. Think about it.

Welcome to California, now go home.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the advice, all. The Nova processor thing looks like a great idea; why haven't other manufacturers copied them?

I'm going to be in a small apartment, so ventilation may indeed be a problem. I am trying to get one with a tiny patio or balcony, so maybe I can take the drums outiside. I wonder if a respirator would help?

ROL, I though Texas was the most hated state in the Union? I agree with you about Idaho drivers though; they are everywhere here in Utah.

And I actually like CFLs, especially daylight balanced ones. However, in my experience, they don't work in a darkroom because they keep emitting light for several minutes after they are turned off!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin