Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,007   Posts: 1,524,569   Online: 1001

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Neg carrier

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Funny you say that. The code name for my latest carrier modification was actually Project Nimitz.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    What is the procedure you guys are using to clean glass carriers? I have AN glass coming for my 6x6...
    I just use the same Tiffen or Zeiss lens cleaning fluid I use on my camera lenses, with Tiffen tissue.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use just cotton pads (avail at freestyle) and air. Not mirror clean but enough. I find that microfiber cloths bring back too much fine dust, even with cleaning solution.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use glass carriers. It takes a little more effort to keep the dust away, but it's worth it.

Trond

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I thought glassless carriers went extinct somewhere back in the dark ages. That's where they belong. Might as well throw away your enlarging magnifier too, along with the fine focus knob on
    the enlarger itself.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    + 1
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    I thought glassless carriers went extinct somewhere back in the dark ages. That's where they belong. Might as well throw away your enlarging magnifier too, along with the fine focus knob on
    the enlarger itself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    +2
    Doing lith prints was an eye-opening experience for me. With a glassless holder one print would be sharp as a pin and another would be a blurfest. And that was 120 film on 8x10 paper! For some quick and dirty prints maybe glassless is ok, but if you want to avoid frustration and wasted paper, a glass carrier is a must. The only problem with glass is that the prints get so sharp that you can start seeing the film grain and small dust on your prints which before were blurred away by the popping negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For prints up to 11x14 in the Leitz Focomat V35 I cannot see a difference in sharpness between glassless and glass unless I start looking at the print through a strong magnifying glass. Now, who looks at prints this way? Honestly, the prints are so sharp that I really don't care either, but that is unique to this enlarger for me. The slight loss of sharpness is nothing compared to needing to spot the hell out of each print (something I absolutely loathe to do).

For prints sized 8x10 and up in my Omega I see a clear difference in sharpness, and here the extra effort is definitely worth it. I use a 4x5 glass carrier and mask it off depending on negative size.

I don't think all enlarger neg carriers are made equal.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I usually just clean the carrier once per session and any spots picked up along the way are minimal or not worth caring about (similar to your magnifying glass analogy btw). I do use a kinetronics to clean negatives before I put them in the carrier though, maybe that's one of the reasons I have less of an issue with them.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    My Darkroom is kept at about 50% humidity year round and it seems to help keeping dust down..

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin