Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,295   Online: 884

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Indeed, it looks like refraction, a penumbra (shadow) from the neg. carrier. There also appears to be a fainter one at the top of the bottom pic. Yes, quite ghostly.

BTW, I once had edge shadows appear on one edge a mural print (30X40), using a homemade easel. It was a longer than normal exposure and it turned out that the 3/4 inch width melamine easel frame was casting a shadow from one direction – from my safelight! I was able to reduce the safelight's intensity and print without further difficulty.
    Last edited by ROL; 03-24-2012 at 08:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sorry, the top part is just blank paper (with the fuzziness) the faint shadows bottom left and right are what I'm talking about. Before I call Most Haunted in, is there anyone less superstitious? I know at least that it's not my imagination playing tricks on me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What kind of easel are you using? I vote for the easel. I have seen this before with single size easels that use a heavy matt black hinged metal frame to hold the paper down. When closed, this creates a "wall" about 5mm high around the print. Even though the metal is flat/matt black, it will reflect light back down onto the paper creating an edge of slightly higher density.

The effect is variable depending on how much density is in the negative in the part of the image being projected onto the inside edge of the black frame in the easel, so if one is printing full frame, the intensity of light hitting the inner edge of that black frame can be quite high since it is only coming through base fog negative density. In your example you have the "perfect storm" scenario for making this effect visible - ie lots of light hitting the inner edge of the easel frame, being reflected down onto the edge of the print which has received relatively little image exposure (ie bright sky). So the overall effect is non-image fogging of the high value along that edge.

It could conceivably be reflection from the edges of the glass in the carrier but I still think it's the easel. You could test to see if it is the carrier by rotating the easel a little so it is not square with the negative carrier. Then make a print. If the shadows are square with the negative carrier, it is the carrier, if on the other hand the shadows are still square with the edges of the easel, it's the easel.
    Last edited by Michael R 1974; 03-24-2012 at 09:52 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Typo

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    What kind of easel are you using? I vote for the easel. I have seen this before with single size easels that use a heavy matt black hinged metal frame to hold the paper down. When closed, this creates a "wall" about 5mm high around the print. Even though the metal is flat/matt black, it will reflect light back down onto the paper creating an edge of slightly higher density.

The effect is variable depending on how much density is in the negative in the part of the image being projected onto the inside edge of the black frame in the easel, so if one is printing full frame, the intensity of light hitting the inner edge of that black frame can be quite high since it is only coming through base fog negative density. In your example you have the "perfect storm" scenario for making this effect visible - ie lots of light hitting the inner edge of the easel frame, being reflected down onto the edge of the print which has received relatively little image exposure (ie bright sky). So the overall effect is non-image fogging of the high value along that edge.

It could conceivably be reflection from the edges of the glass in the carrier but I still think it's the easel. You could test to see if it is the carrier by rotating the easel a little so it is not square with the negative carrier. Then make a print. If the shadows are square with the negative carrier, it is the carrier, if on the other hand the shadows are still square with the edges of the easel, it's the easel.
    Well that describes my easel. I did however move the paper further from the edges to no avail with a test strip last night. But also, the image was never that parallel with the easel edges. So if it was the easel there would surely be an angle to the shadows? I'll have to flip the easel around and try again tonight.

If it was a reflection from the carrier, how might I remedy this?

Edit: There with and without easel
    Last edited by batwister; 03-25-2012 at 04:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just changed the top piece of glass in the negative carrier, with another pane that came with the enlarger. This seems to be coated. Had a bit of an "ah ha!" moment thinking it would solve the problem, but didn't make any difference. Feel a migraine coming on!
    Last edited by batwister; 03-25-2012 at 08:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.

To isolate the problem, make a print that the offending edge is not near the easel, ie not be clamped down. If the still happens, then the problem is with the neg, neg carrier, or reflections, something up top . To further isolate, put the neg in an oversize neg carrier. Blacken the edges of the carrier opening. Or file them to an angle and reblacken. Clean the condensers and lens and inspect for damage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    Well that describes my easel. I did however move the paper further from the edges to no avail with a test strip last night. But also, the image was never that parallel with the easel edges. So if it was the easel there would surely be an angle to the shadows? I'll have to flip the easel around and try again tonight.

If it was a reflection from the carrier, how might I remedy this?

Edit: There with and without easel
    I'm unclear on your last sentence - you tried the same print without the easel and the shadows are still there?

If it is the easel the shadows would remain parallel to the edges of the easel.
    Last edited by Michael R 1974; 03-25-2012 at 05:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, the shadows are there without the easel. I'm quite surprised how rare this problem seems to be. I've not been able to find anything in the vastness that is the APUG archives.

I've swapped the glass around in the carrier, but still convinced it's a reflection of the rebate - somewhere, somehow. Also, the carrier window is rectangular of course, and the shadow on the left edge of the print/negative suggests this isn't the cause.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting. Note sure what else to offer without seeing this first hand. Some people blacken the edges of the glass in their carriers to reduce internal reflections.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Double post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin