Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,516   Online: 849

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Rebate ghosting on print?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ghosting.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	48409

I'm not sure what's causing this problem. It isn't the neg carrier, as the negative wasn't as perfectly parallel as the ghosting suggests.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is this a contact?
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No, just a really low quality scan.

They are visible on the print, not just the scan, I should add. The image shows two parts of the print where the ghosting occurs, if that's what the confusion was.
    Last edited by batwister; 03-24-2012 at 06:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I have seen this before with contact sheets while using glass, but since you say it isn't a contact print - what's the actual edge of the negative look like under a loupe?
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The negative doesn't show any signs of it.
    I've also checked if there's any reflection from the edges of the easel, which was my initial thought.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, is this the only print whatsoever that shows it? Or is this some kind of consistent thing you can duplicate?

If it's only at the edges and the rest of the print is fine, I'd double-check the enlarger lens to make sure there is nothing wrong, optically - but it doesn't immediately seem the source to me. I've definitely seen this kind of "blooming" before and it's never immediately bothered me, but usually my edges are fairly clean.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's happened once before, but wasn't such a problem.

Since they are visible around all the edges of the print, I'm wondering if it's a reflection of the negative on the neg carrier glass or perhaps the condenser? The carrier has two panes of glass, if that might have any factor in it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    It's happened once before, but wasn't such a problem.

Since they are visible around all the edges of the print, I'm wondering if it's a reflection of the negative on the neg carrier glass or perhaps the condenser? The carrier has two panes of glass, if that might have any factor in it.
    Pretty normal to have 2 panes. Here's a variable though: what was the enlarger lens set to? Wide open?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    f/16 from 5.6. Just did another test at f/11, still the same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, you already said it, its a ghost.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin