Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,585   Online: 1089

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images

Your Top 3 Tips for Successful Fine Prints

I would like to hear everyone's top 3 tips for successful fine exhibition prints. Sometimes I think there is not as much information about fine printing as there should be on APUG. And we have some very amazing printers here, so let's hear from you!

I'll start:

1. Make sure there is adequate shadow detail in your negatives
    2. Deal with dry down in one or two ways, dry your test strips in a microwave, or test for a percentage of dry down based on the paper you use and reduce exposure accordingly.
    3. F-stop timing has been a godsend to me. Working in stops makes test strips easier and also when changing enlargement sizes printing maps stay relatively unchanged.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Simplicity – Integrity - Belief.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    1. Take a picture worth trying to print.

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Practice - honest and brutal self appraisal of the actual print (not your feelings about the print or subject matter) - more practice.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    1. Put the books back on the shelf and go see real prints in galleries and museums.
    2. Work on a negative until you've wrung every bit out of the image. Make multiple versions and then go back and determine which is the best one, and why.
    3. Repeat # 2 for many, many negatives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Moopheus View Post
    1. Take a picture worth trying to print.
    +1
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    look at your film, and contact sheets, and see if you can distill it down to one thing

make lots of prints and practice/print anything you can

don't change your paper and developer and film, get used to what you have
    instead of pulling the rug out from under yourself
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    1. Put the books back on the shelf and go see real prints in galleries and museums.
    This is on my list for this year! I still have yet to see a showing of silver gelatin prints. Pathetic I know, but I live a sheltered life in rural america... And finding when showings are going on seems very hard and frustrating to find information on.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    1. Find the subject that you are supposed to photograph.

2. Spend a lot of time with your subject, learning how to photograph and print it to express your creative vision.

3. Embrace the philosophy that good enough is not. Let nothing stop you from making the absolute best photograph of which you are capable.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    1 learn to step back from your print (while printing) and see it with fresh innocent eyes, as if for the first time. So you don't get caught up in tunnel vision of some particular detail.
    See it as if it isn't your own.

2 Stay away from the grip of printing contrasty for power. A contrasty print is always louder and seemingly more powerful when comparing a less contrasty print side by side.
    Stay in touch with the subtleties and remember a viewer won't see a side by side contrastier comparison.

3 Make the best nearly straight print you can first before making the printing more complicated. Keep the final printing as simple as you can and keep exact countings for dodging and burning, don't try to do it intuitively.

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin