Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,689   Posts: 1,548,779   Online: 1253

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Just like any other optical system, esp like a view camera. If you have a bunch of flare inside your
    enlarger bellows etc, then optically coated glass might help. But if your system is quite black inside,
    without light bouncing around, you just need good flat glass. I've tested em all, believe me.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    You can get coated optical glass from Schneider Optics (Schneider's U.S. arm), cut and bevelled. For pieces in that size they will source it from their cinema/TV filter division. That's what I ended up going with in my Saunders 4550xl 4x5 carrier. In my 35mm carrier for the same enlarger I was able to use Schneider/B+W MRC "Multi Resistant Coating" glass cut from a clear B+W filter. As noted earlier, however, I can't see any difference in print quality compared with the non-coated glass that came with the carriers. And these modifications were not cheap.
    Just curious Michael, what was the approximate cost of the 4x5 glass?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Patrick, it was a while back but I've got it here somewhere. Will check.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The glass in the carrier becomes part of the optical system. Although it is not in focus, irregularities do affect the image. This is why AN glass can be such a problem. The best quality stuff seems to work decently, but there is a lot of inferior stuff out there that definitely degrades the image. I've generally managed to do without it. For the plain glass, window glass is out. Good quality float glass seems to be OK, but it is certainly not top optical quality. You can get optical flats which are excellent. They come in various qualities from what is essentially selected float glass (moderately expensive) to tenth wave flatness and better (very expensive).

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    At one time, about a decade ago, only about 1% of float glass was suitably flat for optically coating
    by the pioneers on non-optical applications, like Denglas. Now that optical coating has become available for low-e window use, productivity of suitable product has increased. But it's still inferior
    to plano-corrected real enlarger glass. The specific anti-Newton pattern is critical, and will even work on both sides of the film in certain applications. But you need to test all the variables, including
    film type, degree of magnification, kind of diffusion in the enlrgr head, specific enlarger lenses and working f-stops, etc. At the moment, each enlarger I have has a different kind of glass in it, or a
    different set of options, because each is dedicated to a different use (different formats, color vs
    b&w film, scale of magnification, etc).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Although a fan of glassless carriers, I thought this little film of a master French printer quite interesting and I note she uses a glass carrier. The way she wipes the negatives with her fingers is indicative of the way we all have our own procedures when printing.

http://www.laboratoire-tirages-argen...restation.html

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agree it goes to show there is definitely more than one way to do things. I'd NEVER wipe my negatives like that. Actually I don't even handle them without gloves. But it seems to work fine for the printer in the video.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin