Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,365   Online: 1213

Shooter
    Medium Format

A thin, straight line of slight underexposjure appears on one side of my prints.

When I attempt to make a print a thin, straight line of slight underexposure appears on along one side of the print. The frequency of this happening is unpredictable; sometimes there is no underexposed area, sometimes there is. I've checked the negatives and they are fine, so the problem must be in the enlarging process itself. I'm wondering if the problem could be my two and a quarter film holder with is old and a little sprung. I thought I check before buying a new one. Does anyone recognize this problem?

Thanks for your help, John N

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do you have a scan you can post? Is the line lighter or darker than the rest of the print?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can you tell us what enlarger you are using?
    Negative size?
    Lens?
    Can you also scan your image so we can see it?

Couple of ideas....

Are you using the correct condenser for your film and lens type? I can see this being a problem if you are cropping your image.
    If you are using a type of enlarger with movable condensers, is it in the right place?
    If you are using under-the-lens type contrast filter, is it centered with the center of your lens?
    Are you sure nothing is casting a shadow?
    Are you sure your lamp in the enlarger is centered correctly?
    Did you remember to feed your cat?

It's all random thoughts because we know very little of your equipment and process.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John:

Welcome to APUG!

When you say a thin, straight line of slight underexposure, are you saying the line is darker on the print or lighter on the print than it should be?

If it is darker on the print, I would check for reflection off the carrier.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello John and welcome to APUG.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    It is probably a neg carrier edge that is causing bounce light .. blacken the edges of the negative carrier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It could also be reflection off an edge of the easel (assuming the line is darker than the rest of the print). Would have to know what kind of easel is being used as this only occurs with single size easels which have a ~1/4 inch think hinged metal frame holding down the paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If this is a diffusion enlarger with a light-box, try taking the negative carrier all the way out. Mark out the projected image of the light-box opening on the base board. Then put the negative carrier back in. The projected hole in the negative carrier should be right in the middle of the light-box marks on the baseboard. If it is too close to one side you can get under exposure on one edge.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin