Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,522   Posts: 1,543,799   Online: 775

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Plastics sometimes have a static charge which can attract dust which is problematic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    They are pretty thick. There's an extra, thinner piece of glass that came with the enlarger, which I really can't get my head around. Obviously this doesn't sit flat with the thicker top piece and neither does it solve the reflection problem. My enlarger is a Krokus 3 by the way.

I'd be very worried about scratches to the negative with aluminium, even if I was extra careful filing. Isn't this a problem with yours?
    Well I used a milling machine to make the masks, then file a bevel in the port for the negative and finish with 200, 400, 800 and finally 1,000 grit wet and dry paper. The file cut edges are as smooth as glass.

You can even use mat board to make a mask. it is just a bit fragile.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had problems with a rebate reflection in my negative carrier, which I've discovered is caused by the bottom sheet of glass.
    Can you post an example?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think this is the thread with an example.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum41/1...ing-print.html
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    I think this is the thread with an example.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum41/1...ing-print.html
    Does anyone know what that is an image of? What is the gray at the R side? Why is there something that looks like another negative forming a white rectangle at the top? Where are the edges of the negative carrier in that print? Where is the negative rebate? I can't see any edge markings. Are they masked out? Is there any masking? Why not?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Does anyone know what that is an image of? What is the gray at the R side? Why is there something that looks like another negative forming a white rectangle at the top? Where are the edges of the negative carrier in that print? Where is the negative rebate? I can't see any edge markings. Are they masked out? Is there any masking? Why not?

I can understand why it looks confusing. The image with the tree on the bottom left is the top of the print where the reflection was evident, the image on the right is the left side of the print where the reflection was evident, the top white with the fuzzy line is blank paper. It's a composite of parts of the print in essence. The rebate is all the black.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can understand why it looks confusing. The image with the tree on the bottom left is the top of the print where the reflection was evident, the image on the right is the left side of the print where the reflection was evident, the top white with the fuzzy line is blank paper. It's a composite of parts of the print in essence. The rebate is all the black.
    I see it now. Very odd.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do you use the carrier with the adjustable masks wide open or do you close them down a little. Closing them a little should get rid of the edge distortion unless the glass is too thick.

How thick is the gap between the upper and lower metal halves when it is closed? Without a negative between the glass plates, it should almost clamp a piece of film between the upper and lower metal frames.

Are both pieces of glass the same thickness?
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I still think it's reflection off the easel frame. Try making the print with no easel to test.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Do you use the carrier with the adjustable masks wide open or do you close them down a little. Closing them a little should get rid of the edge distortion unless the glass is too thick.

The masks on the carrier are wide open - that's to say, I don't use them. With the masks up to the edge of the rebate the problem is still apparent.

How thick is the gap between the upper and lower metal halves when it is closed? Without a negative between the glass plates, it should almost clamp a piece of film between the upper and lower metal frames.
    Not entirely sure I understand you.

Are both pieces of glass the same thickness?
    Yes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin