Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,657   Online: 645

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Acrylic sheet to replace glass in carrier?

I've had problems with a rebate reflection in my negative carrier, which I've discovered is caused by the bottom sheet of glass.
    Would a piece of acryllic of the same thickness and size, with a 6cm square hole for the negative, be an adequate replacement?

In particular I'm wondering about damage the acrylic might cause to the negatives (acid?), as well as potential flexing when the acrylic is warmed by the lamp and then cooled.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Acrylic would soon show scratches so really leaves a lot to be desired for an optical application like this. Would not making a mask for your glass carrier be a better solution?
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used a lot of acrylics commercially amd agree with Richard they scratch. What enlarger, I've never had issues with glass.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Without knowing more about the model of enlarger and details of the negative carrier, I'm wondering (speculating) if the problem is not the glass itself but that the glass is diffracting a reflection source from the tracks in the carrier? I'd want to check for any bright spots that may be the results of wear between the carrier and the tracks it slides in.
    Leica M6,
    Bessa R4A,
    Rolleiflex(s) 2.8/80, 4/135, 4/55.
    Nikkormat FTn
    Fuji X10

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The maximum operating temperature for acrylic is either 150°F or 170°F, depending on the type.

The operating temperature of a halogen bulb is 700°F.
    Non-halogen enlarger bulbs run at lower temperatures, but I wouldn't trust acrylic even with those.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Use Lexan polycarbonate sheets. I replaced a bottom diffuser in a mixing box of an enlarger that has a 200W 24V bulb with a 2mm Lexan sheet and it passed the several-hour test. It is milky white, though, and very hard and glossy on one side while the other is slightly matt. There are clear versions available and likely free - ask for samples (mine's a sample). They deliver them protected on both sides.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here's the carrier http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-acDU5Xi2t_...ivecarrier.jpg

I've decided to make a mask, which will need to replace the bottom sheet of glass and hold the negative. It has to be 3mm thick. Not sure what the best material would be.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Neither acrylic nor polycarbonate will remain flat without bowing, so would be worthless in a neg
    carrier. Stray light can be masked off. Or if it's bouncing off the actual edges of the glass, simply
    paint these with a stroke of a black Magic Marker or Sharpie pen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That looks very similar to a Durst carrier, Durst blackened the beveled edges at the factory on the glass inserts I have. Those glass inserts look a little too thick as well, they should just be a tiny bit proud of the metal frame. You could make an aluminum insert for a glassless carrier, I did that with 1.5mm thick aluminum sheet for both the lower and upper glasses on the D659 enlarger. File out the hole to match your negative image area. The D606 and others use the same 1.5mm glass inserts.
    Bob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    They are pretty thick. There's an extra, thinner piece of glass that came with the enlarger, which I really can't get my head around. Obviously this doesn't sit flat with the thicker top piece and neither does it solve the reflection problem. My enlarger is a Krokus 3 by the way.

I'd be very worried about scratches to the negative with aluminium, even if I was extra careful filing. Isn't this a problem with yours?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin