Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,572   Online: 1184

Thread: Spotting Prints

Spotting Prints

I suspect that many here enjoy printing, but don't enjoy the arduous, and sometimes unrewarding, task of spotting the final print. All of us have uttered a loud expletive when we have ruined a print due to a spotting error. So, it is with some relief that I report that Katherine Gillis is back in business spotting prints and negatives! I learned of Katherine from Allan Ross who worked with Ansel Adams. Alan has printed editions of Mr. Adams' photographs after Ansel's death. Of course, Allan is a well known photographer in his own right. Katherine has had extensive experience spotting the prints that Allan has made, and she told me that she has retouched prints ( and if need be, negatives ) from photographers who work all over the world. I believe that she has a supply of special inks and brushes that are used by the small number of well regarded retouching experts who worked in the halcyon days of analog photography, and who continue to work today. Katherine lives in South Carolina, and has done work for me as I ready a portfolio of prints for a gallery exhibit. I have no business relationship with Katherine. I post the information as a help to other analog photographers who would rather be taking photos then spotting their prints! Katherine can be reached at: 704-607-1039

Elliot

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Interesting.... I happen to have one 5x4 neg with a small (approx 1.2mm dia) clear spot on it that could do with touching up. Wonder how much this sort of thing costs..

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I want to give a shout out to Rose Scheler in Toronto, best bleach retoucher on silver prints I have ever seen .

Great information to know Bob...thanks...might want to post how to reach Ms. Scheler.

Elliot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No email address or web presence?

I'm much more comfortable with email than with calling someone I don't know on the phone.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    No email address or web presence?

I'm much more comfortable with email than with calling someone I don't know on the phone.

Really?!? Someboody combine these theads:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum53/1...negatives.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just saw the other thread!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Elliot,

Thanks for introducing and recommending Katherine Gillis. It's great to know we have a resource for spotting.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin